Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renewing a damaged passport - will it be valid for 10 years if not expired?

Options
  • 02-04-2024 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

I ripped my passport so need to replace it. On the Irish Government website it says:

“Your new passport book may be restricted (issued for less than 10 years).”

I have 4 years left. Does this mean it won’t be valid for 10 years? Has anyone done this before?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is this your first time getting a replacement for lost/stolen or damaged? You'll get ten if it is.

The restriction is for people who keep reporting them lost/stolen primarily, in case they are actually being sold - they'll get a reduced term (1 year, normally) and can build back to 10. Not sure if that ever applies to damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unless you've lost/destroyed your previous passport no action, just renew online and send in the damaged passport. Will be renewed for 10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 33,469 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fresh ten years, I had the same problem a while back.

They only limit the duration if you lose passports frequently.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,371 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Why don't you email the passport office and ask them? They'd be in the best position to advise…..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Two more questions on the passport renewal process.

1. Do I get a link to track my passport when it has been posted back?
    2. It's currently on "Printing". How long is it usually on this stage?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Yes, you’ll probably see a tracking number later today and should receive it in the post in the next day or two - most likely tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TaliyahGarrett

From what I understand, if your new passport is issued with less than 10 years' validity, it means it won't last the full 10 years. I haven't gone through this myself, but it might be worth reaching out to the passport office for clarification. Good luck!

Advertisement