Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Booking.com - Card charged in full 2 days before free cancellation option

• 03-04-2024 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭

Have used Booking.com for years and am always careful to try to use the option with a free cancellation in case my plans change near the travel date.

I had a room booked for this weekend which I had to cancel today. I had til midnight to cancel for free but I just noticed that the price of the room has already come off my credit card 2 days ago. All my bookings to date simply had a lock on my card until the free cancellation date and then you weren't charged if you were in before it.

The cancellation process made no reference to a refund for the room charge. Will this just be processed in 3-5 days automatically and refunded to my card or will I now need to chase the hotel?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭89897

You need to check the conditions of your booking. Some do charge in full some days before your arrival but you can still cancel and recieve full refund. Check your booking and then put the cancellation through, it should be processed in the 3-5 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

What did Booking.com say when you contacted them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I left a message with them and they got back a few hours later. Since I did cancel before the fees were to be incurred, they've advised I will be refunded but it could take 7 to 12 days.

This is kind of a silly policy. Why take the charge for the room 5 days before the check-in date and then still give the customer the option to cancel for free, thus requiring refunds. Why not just have a lock on the card until such time the free cancellation period expires and then charge the customer the full fee beyond that date.

Advertisement