Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

McGeeney and Forker came across well in the interview there.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Sure does. I thought it was something the GAA organised. Can’t say I remember another one outside Diblin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭C__MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

Kerry are definitely the better team, just Armagh caught them late on a bad day. That's wont happen again if they play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Limerick have gone straight home after the final the last few years I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,202 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The more ya look at the replays the more Galway made a meal of it.

Still fair play to Armagh and they are deserving champions but boy will that haunt Galway.

Galway won't win an all Ireland any time soon. Today was there chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I don't know about imploding, this game was more representative of Galway's true from over the last 24 months than the Dublin game was.

Galway are a decent team, well prepared, physically strong, but a team with a lot of limitations. In 22,a stellar year from Walsh and Comer pulled them out of the crowd temporarily, but they reverted to the mean since. The second half surge against Dublin was somewhat out of character, today was much more like it.

They struggled through the league, avoiding Relegation narrowly. Beating Mayo this year was somewhat devalued currency given Mayo's subsequent performance. They have played ok all year, but haven't been outstanding at any point I felt. Their approach was very conservative throughout, and always seemed to be unwilling or unable to cut loose or put an opponent to the sword, especially when on top. Today was a good example, looked for all the world as if they were trying not to lose rather than pushing on to win.

I'd also question some of the selections. Walsh and Comer in particular have been in poor form this year, and selecting Comer in particular, as well as Finnerty who seemed to be carrying that knee injury into the game seems a strange decision at the time, let alone with another 70 minutes hindsight. Seems to me that Comer in particular was selected on reputation and not form, there was a tough call there to make and PJ made the easyand conservative decision.

They still could have won of course, so it's probably unfair to call them out for losing a close final like this. Maybe they'll be back, maybe not, but this will hit hard- several of those lads are running out of time, including PJ, but maybe there will be a last dance from them.

McGeeney deserves credit for resisting the temptation to start Campbell, Burns, etc. and instead keep them as "finishers"

They had at least 4 chances to take the game to extra time and missed the boat. Walsh missed at least 4 other chances as well. To me they imploded and blew their chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Armagh won't win it again any time soon either. Today was their chance and lucky for them Galway blew it.

It'll also give a kick up the @®$€ of the better teams and inspire the lesser teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Trey13

While I agree that Dublin are on a decline, I think we’ll still have a chance if we retain the current squad.

The issue we have is that when the crop of players 30+ retire, we have nothing to replace them with.

Paul Flynn has barely opened his mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Maybe , but if so probably only for a few years .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,544 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I dunno. Kerry have history of this in recent years of losing games they should be winning, nothing to indicate anything will change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

If Dublin can go "solid" it might be enough, but it would be a scrap at the group stage of the championship level.

Solid and doggedness won Armagh Sam. Dublin need fresh blood badly because into today's game the bench is crucial. A team won't win anything with just 15 players. Armagh and Galway both have better benches than Dublin. and dare I say it Kerry.

I would be amazed if 5/6 Dublin lads don't retire after this year. Mannion, McCaffery, Cluxton coming back had the vibe of one last go.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Today was the once in 25 year alignment of the stars that Galway didn't take advantage of.

Just seems odd - usually there's a question for everyone in turn but he seems to have been skipped

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Rain Spreading From The West

Reception is in the Carrickdale at the top of Louth just off the N1 (junction 20). Is a couple of hundred yards away from the border with Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Ulster 2024

All Ireland Senior 🏐
    All Ireland U20 🏐
    All Ireland Minor 🏐 (the minor final was 2 Ulster teams)
    Tailteann Cup 🏐
    National League Div 1 🏐
    National League Div 2 🏐
    All Ireland Senior Club 🏐
    All Ireland Intermediate Club 🏐
    All Ireland Junior Club 🏐
    Sigerson Cup 🏐
    Hogan Cup

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

8 from Armagh, 5 from Galway and 2 Donegal players in the Sunday Game team of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,141 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I may be somewhat biased, but I would look at Donegal as probably the team of the year. They drew with Armagh in the league, beat them in the Division 2 final, beat Derry, Division 1 champions and one of the favourits to go all the way in their own back yard in the championship and then beat Tyrone and Armagh to win Ulster. Topped their group table and were beaten in the semi by a fluke goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I always associate Galway teams when they are at their best with free flowing attacking football. The sight of a Galway attack where the ball kept on being recycled, until the point where the play was back out at midfield kind of summed everything up! I feel with the negative way he set the team up, that Padraig Joyce kind of betrayed Galway's footballing traditions and history today.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Barry McCambridge a great choice for player of the year. Not a marquee name in some respects but a trojan player

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

It has been a long long time since any Galway team played like that

It didn't even need that today. Galways best showings this year where against mayo and dublin. Why? Because they had a go and were aggressive and took risks. Unfortunately today the handbrake was on and they got what they deserved. A little bit more urgency and grit and joyce would have been a hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

'Soupy' Campbell said he played the pass for the goal...probably has to go down as one of the greatest assists on all ireland final day...I thought watching it he was trying for a point but looks like not the case...incredible vision

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭PressRun

The underage teams are particularly impressive. The strength and conditioning they're doing at that level is immense. If they can successfully transition what's coming through, it won't be the last time Sam goes north in the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭shockframe

I'd say the reaction as usual has gone a bit overboard with regard to the game itself. Its not in the top tier of great finals like 2005 or 2017 but not quite as bad as say 2014 or 2015.

The score taking and tackling was very good at times but there was quiet a few lulls so I would describe it as about an average (3 out of 5) final.

Galway played right into Armaghs hands with the slow sideways passing over and back around the midfield/half-forward line giving Armagh time to settle.

Not that Armagh did anything hectic up front for large parts but they just broke that bit quicker at pace when they got the chance and they were much more willing to take a risk with a few long passes.

So just on being a bit more gung ho they just about merited their win.

Taking off Turbo was a big call but it paid off. Galway left Walsh and Comer up front when it wasnt working out for them.

It might be hard from Galway to recover from this as there's more teams to fancy it next season but it might help them in the long run add a bit more steel to their play. They've no entered a sort of Mayo zone in finals so might look to void that becoming a mark on them as a county.

Credit due to Armagh though. I would have struggled to name 5 or so of their team going into the championship so to win this All Ireland with a team of relative nobodies is incredible.

Advertisement