Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Kevin McStay looked very deflated at the end. What a chance Mayo had to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Nice to see both the Mayo and Dublin lads giving autographs and taking selfies with young fans. Fair dues to both sets of them.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Just goes to show that if you take Dublin out of their home stadium, things become a lot more competitive! Mayo will be disappointed not to have won that now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

A chance for them to lay down a psychological marker was lost. They got it 90% right.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I didnt see any bias. Dublin got their fair share of soft ones too. 45 was on umpire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,423 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Yeah the ref was very one sided today, how many times were the commentators looking at a replay and having to say "Mmm, not sure about that" because they aren't really allowed to say that the referee is clearly refereeing the two sides differently.

That Fenton decision near the end was disgraceful, ref is standing right beside it and gives the free to Mayo. It was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

So at the end of the day it didn't matter whether Mayo or Galway wanted to win the Connacht final or not, they both ended up in the same position.

Like 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2017. 90% right but no prizes for that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Fenton should have had a free but then Basquel got one in front of the goal for absolute text book defending with near hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,235 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Another gripe, why is the draw done at 8.30 Monday morning? Drum up a bit of coverage by having it live on telly after the game or during the sports segment on this evening's news or whatever. Sure most of us will be in/on way to work in morning and might be pre-occupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,837 ✭✭✭growleaves

Dublin can struggle without McCaffrey on the pitch - even though he is just one man, and now tends to come on as a sub.

In 2021, when Mayo beat Dublin in the semi-final McCaffrey was early-retired for a spell and Fenton was going through a poor patch.

Good game but no room for complacency with 30 seconds left on the clock - I was amazed to hear RTE commentator talk about Mayo having scored the winning point. I fully expected Dublin to push up at the death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭C__MC

Costello score was massive for the dubs. Kerry will be the happiest team so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭threeball

He gave Dublin alot of leeway in the first half with their tackling. Fouling the runner constantly and not penalised. No way was he one sided.

When O Donoghue scored that injury time point it reminded me of Mayo's win earlier this year in the league when they scored a winning point in the fourth minute of injury time. I thought to myself 'lightning is striking twice here'. Thanks to Jack Mac's lightning pace i was wrong. Two injury time losses to Mayo in four months would have been hard to take.

It all happened so fast after O Donoghue's last point but Mayo should really have fouled or tactically fouled or whatever you call it to stop that last Dublin attack progressing. No team could be blamed for doing anything at that stage to protect their lead.

I still have the odd nightmare about Kevin Foley's goal for Meath in the 3rd replay back in 1991 on that sunny Saturday. That Meath move started almost back in Meath's fullback line if i remember correctly. So much time for Dublin to foul or drag a Meath man down. Break the play stop momentum. Anything but what happened resulting in not one hand layed on a Meath player and a goal that will never be forgotten that dumped Dublin out in such dramatic fashion. The worst defeat in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭PressRun

Yeah I thought Mayo were very naive at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Avon8

Given that neither are winning an All Ireland I'd rather have the trophy

How? You can't defend a score like that, it was sheer class. Right far enough you could start a melee but that would add on another three minutes. Mayo were very good today and deserved a draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Do any of these matches actually mean anything? So many games with little or nothing to play for this weekend. Surely half empty stadiums (most with small capacity anyway) is not the correct way forward. The format of the 80s and 90s was far more exciting with teams needing to win or they were out! Just my opinion please like if you agree....

• Registered Users Posts: 38,251 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How a team who lost 3 games already in the Championship are still in it is beyond me

Could easily get rid of the 'preliminary QFs' and just have the top 2 into the QFs (4x 1st vs 2nd)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

It just seems to be a tournament these days that gains absolutely zero momentum until the semi finals! Of course having the hurling and football finals in July also means the majority or gone abroad anyway. I remember the good old days when schools got involved in September and the atmosphere built and built for the counties still competing. Now its like let's get the tournament finished ASAP! Why oh why, its supposed the highlight of the Summer not a distraction!

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭gigantic09

A win for mayo would have given us a week off next weekend so in that context it was very meaningful. Potentially facing 3 games in 3 weeks is a big ask and one we failed miserably in last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,251 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The ex president who brought in the 'split season' is chairman of New York GAA

Oh I wonder is a coincidence that more 'big players' will jolly over there for the summer to 'increase the profile'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,826 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was thinking how to freshen up the championship and came up with this.

Go back to the if you lose your out up to the final. Let the provisional finals happen. Then we have a Super 8. The winners and runner up from the 4 provisionals from the final go into 1 league 1 game each in a neutral venue except the winners of the provisional will have 2 points from winning there final. Then the top 4 go to the semi finals.

If they then want a b Championship let all the other teams that lost go into that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

The fixtures can be announced early and the finer details possibly in the afternoon.

Todays two televised games may have taken a while to heat up but they were pretty exciting in the second half and really edge of the seat stuff going down the home straight.

Yesterdays Cork v Tyrone game was decent i saw highlights on Saturday Game. Some great scores in the game by the Canavans, Tyrone goalkeeper Morgan and Cork played their part also.

Roscommon v Cavan looked a nice open freeflowing game with result in doubt towards the end.

Derry v Westmeath never too much in it Derry you could almost feel the pressure they were under did just enough to hold on and squeeze through.

It's not a perfect system by any means not sure there is such a thing but it's not all doom and gloom there was some good action this weekend and from here on in things should only get better.

Shame we only have 5 - 6 weekends left, it all seems very rushed. Nobody can deny the club is life and soul of the GAA but intercounty action is what makes the organisation. The season is to rushed, it needs to go back to mid August at least and we need a proper format that will make games meaningful again. I'd enjoyed mayo dublin today but in the back of my head dublin were still in it no matter what. I like that format being proposed that was in kerry. I'd also like to see the league back to what it was. It's diluted now as teams are saving themselves for championship. We need a few more weekends in the year and just better promotion of our games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭dunnerc

Just goes to show , Dublin are beatable , Dublin will also be disppointed not to have won that 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyone know is it just the prelims they are drawing in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Result, games this weekend with 44, 36, 34 x 2, 33, 30, 28 and 18 scores. That could not come from players not being creative, or coached to be ultra defensive. In the old football, the 18 scores would have been more typical, because teams surrendered possession so often, instead of creating more chances.

Apart from the hard luck stories of Mayo and Galway, Monaghan threw away a great chance for a home Preliminary QF. The Kerry Louth result meant that a 7 point margin over Meath would have been enough. With 60 minutes gone in the second half Monaghan were 9 up and looking strong. But they finished only 3 ahead in the end. I was at that game. Monaghan can't play Louth, so they will face a trip to Mayo, Galway or Tyrone. Instead of being at home against Cork, Roscommon or Derry.

The format continues to prove itself, with no team getting full points last year in the groups, and only Kerry this year. And lots of Round 3 intrigue.

Advertisement