Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options
1626364656668»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Sure if they bought Gavin a plane he'd fly himself up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

It makes no sense to count two different sports in two separate competitions together.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,449 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Jimmy Barry Murphy, Ray Cummims, Liam Curranes, Teddy McCarthy, JackLynch etc woukd all disagree with you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Hard to look past Kerry now. They're an unbelievable county, always there or there abouts, dunno how they do it. Even against Dublins golden generation, nearly had their money and population advantages nullified on raw talent alone. Had they Dublins resources and population would have been miles ahead of that Dublin team.

When all else is equal, Kerry just seem to be a distance ahead of everyone nearly every year

• Advertisement

'19 Kerry drew AI final with Dublin. Lost replay.

'20 lost to Cork in Munster final.

'21 lost semi in extra time to AI winners Tyrone.

'22 won the AI.

'23 lost final by a whisker to Dublin.

Kerry have largely the same team since '19 (which might not be a good thing).

That's why Kerry are favourites. They're the most consistent team besides Dublin in last 5 years.

They've reached the final 3 out of last 5 AI.

It's difficult to see how good they are this year as they haven't been tested properly, but objectively I'd have them slight favourites.

Donegal are the dark horse I think.

Jim McGuinness has spent a good few years out of the game plotting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well that's Kerry fuked.

The golden kiss of death.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

once Dublin are out it makes it so much more straight forward . If you had to play Kerry / Dublin and a northern team on route to the final , it would be much more difficult . And if Galway do it . Fair play to them .
    It’s far from a foregone conclusion this year . Based on today my money would be on Donegal but a very close second would be , Kerry or Galway . All on the mindset and the day .

They wouldn't.

They're different sports.

Kieran Donaghy doesn't count his basketball medals with his AI medals.

Kerry might never win another hurling AI. Kilkenny probably will never win a football AI. Why count them together!?

We've won 2 AIs since 2009!

We're always competitive but I wouldn't go overboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I was at Croker and I watched the 2 matches. Donegal played the other teams off the pitch- disciplined, natural and scored from all angles. It was great to see a team so disciplined with no cards or messing. Jim has the team so well rehearsed and prepared. Louth did so well to keep up.

It was my first time watching Kerry play 'live' and it sucked the life out of me. How they get away with grinding down the clock and taking an age for the goalie to kick the ball out is beyond me.

I think it's better for Donegal to go in as underdogs. Hopefully they go the whole hog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

That Kerry v Derry game was brutal to watch no doubt about it. I was surprised that Kerry didnt kick in to the FF line more often but they came through with this laboured game plan, god it was hard to watch though.

Wide open now. Kerry rightly favourites as the most experienced team left but any of the other three could take them on a given day.

It will be interesting to see where Derry go from here. This is a very good group and I don’t think they will win anything without a major change of approach

I think it's given a boost to every team left.

Donegal are the dark horse.

Galway are very strong when fully fit. McDaid and Walsh are two of the best footballers in Ireland and plenty other good players in their panel.

Kerry are Kerry.

Armagh are an unknown entity really.

As I said, Dublin were years ahead in structures and funding for a long time. The others have now caught up in terms of conditioning, can go 70+ minutes with Dublin. But for a lot of that time, Kerry weren't far away, had nearly bridged the gap on Dublins advantages with talent alone. It speaks volumes.

If all else was equal for the past 13 years or so, Kerry would have been comfortably ahead of Dublin

Shelbourne are still doing ok :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I think you might be taking a throw away comment just a bit too seriously.

You'd think it's a year too early for Donegal under McGuinness.

When Dublin beat Kerry well in the league this year, I couldn't help but think Kerry were being cute. Keeping their cards close to their chest for later on in the season. They're coming on strong now.

They really left the All-Ireland behind them last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭C__MC

Lads kerry will walk this All Ireland

Skilful team

Strong game management

Excellent kickout retention

Expierenced

Top forwards

Advertisement