Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Kerry were the better team for 3/4s of the game.

The poxy goal energised Armagh and they finished stronger.

I'm just using it as a yardstick anyway.

I think Galway will win by 3/4 points. Not exactly comfortably but enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Perhaps they have, but it is not the case that Armagh played flat out last week. Some of their players were quiet enough e.g Murnin who was an Allstar nominee last year, and their shooting was better in the Ulster final.

I'm not sure why the Galway bench is better than Armagh, the likes of Oisin O'Neill is a good as any player on either team.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭threeball

I can't see it being a great game. It'll be similar to the round robin with Galway probing and methodically moving the Armagh defence around. I think Galway have a better organised more disciplined defence and Armagh are prone to some bad turnovers which Galway really don't do too often. These will be the winning of the game. 3 or 4 scores will come off them that will separate the teams at the end. Galway won't hammer anyone, they'll just squeeze enough life out of you to get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Robson99

You really have it in for Gleeson. He has made one mistake all season ( even at that defenders could have done better ) was one of our top 3 performers in semi. Ye had to come to Galway for yeer own keeper… that should be more of a concern

• Registered Users Posts: 34,210 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I gave Armagh no chance v Kerry and they deserved their victory even with lucky goal. Their big players turned up.

It's a very tricky one to call. Cause like Hurling, both teams will feel gutted if lose as the big boys traditionally not there and feels like golden opportunity to get one. Both teams deserve to be here.

Just hope its good contest.

Galway by couple but wont be surpised if went to extra time. If it does I actually think Armagh might pull it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

yea , two best goalies in the country are Galway men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭littlevillage

This is how I see Sunday's game panning out.

These two teams have met plenty over the last couple of years most recently about 6 weeks ago. Soo expect it to be very cagey

Galway have the experience of 22' and might settle quicker and weather conditions being neutral would expect them to lead at half time.

2nd half should be more of an open spectacle which again might just favour Galway.

The extra time win over Kerry will have given Armagh great confidence, soo if Galway are going to win this they need to do it in normal time.... which I think they will... just about.

Extra time I actually favour Armagh and a replay is far from out of the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭C__MC

Galway have been very good this season. Given injuries, they have had some serious wins against mayo, Derry, Dublin and donegal. They are battled hardened. But I always feel they could implode in a game like the past but in fairness they haven't in 2024. I think they have the ammunition on paper to win this game if they play to their potential, across the games with armagh in 22,23 and 24,they where the better footballing team but had brain farts in each game. If joyce can get them Sunday to play as they do and to cut out those brain farts, they will have enough to beat armagh. Armagh looked ordinary for 55 mins against kerry and despite their dominance over the next 40 mins, kerry had a chance to take it to extra time. Its there for galway imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭The Moist Buddha

are you on about the 26 counties or 32? Niall Morgan is by far the best goalie in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think Stefan Campbell will come on and swing it for Armagh.

Aidan Nugent will be looking to come on and try to make a positive impression on Sunday, unlike 2 weeks ago when he did his best to lose the game. Twas a bit like Aaron Shanagher for Clare on Sunday. Some days everything just goes wrong at the wrong time.

• Advertisement

His showing the last day could scupper any involvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Treble double

Galway for me, similar to Donegal I think they will wear Armagh down and see it out by 2 to 4 points. They have more talented players and that will give them the edge

• Registered Users Posts: 51,955 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Armagh by 3/4 points. They're a good team and I feel that they have improved with every outing. And Mc Geeney will have a plan for Galway that will stifle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

Draw.

Galway will be hanging on at the end. Armagh will kick a late free to level it and win in extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭dobman88

I did have that in mind when thinking about this game. But also the Kerry game. Armagh finished strongly and Kerry were completely gassed. I think Galway will start fast, they'll have to, but Armaghs superior fitness and ability to keep themselves in games before a late push will be the difference in extra time.

Armagh team, Connaire Mackin in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭threeball

Two things, Galway never start fast, they spend 35 mins feeling out a game, so they certainly won't need to in those game.

Secondly, where's the evidence of Armaghs superior fitness. Galway outlasted Dublin and had more in the tank than Donegal despite losing multiple key players to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Loyalists seem to be getting annoyed as the TUV were complaining about Mark Sidebottom having orange face paint. They view it as impartial because BBC presenters don't paint their face orange on the 12th July. I don't think loyalists realise that Armagh wear orange because of the colour of the fruit. Protestants use of orange is very different.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Tough game to call. I fancy Galway but cannot give any valid reasons why..maybe because they are more experienced then Armagh. Hopefully it's an exciting game on Sunday and also hope the referee doesn't influence the result unlike what happened in the hurling last Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭I says

the ref had no bearing on last weeks game. Cork bottled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Cork didn't bottle it. They played well. Clare played slightly better, and won by a very small margin in the end.

Referee decisions had a small bearing on the result. In all matches there will be decisions by the ref that are not correct. But in most matches, the decisions may not be too noticeable and they generally even themselves out to a large extent. But on Sunday, the big decisions went against Cork, and they were very obvious. It wasn't on purposes by the ref, linesmen and umpires. It was just the way it happened. That being said, the Cork boys on the hurling thread really need to get over it.

Anyway, back to the football. Looking like it's going to be dry weather for Sunday which is great. Should be a good contest.

Hurson is a very good ref. However he does tend to make a big call when the game is in the melting pot. That Spillane free in 2022 and last year he was very hard on monaghan late on as dublin squeezed. He gave dublin a free in, loooked a free out to me. He will let alot go no doubt. Must be conflicting for him being a tyrone man. I would feel that way anyway. Mayo fans no doubt feeling like how we all felt two weeks ago in the euros final.

I think it will be a game cat and mouse for 50 odd mins and than maybe a whirlwind finish

We know why the OO are orange, the origin of the Armagh colours is unclear. Not many people ate oranges when those colours were adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

lf I'm allowed to express an opinion, I think if Galway are to win this, they do have to start strong and lead from the front. They may be able then to counter attack and keep ahead, but tbh I can't see them getting stronger as the game progresses.

A big factor in them beating Dublin was that they were tiring and unable to provide support runners, so hence they kicked the ball long and early more often. It worked well, but on another day against a team maybe less inclined to commit forward than Dublin, it might not work as well.

Armagh have a decent squad, who all swam physically in good shape, and they've used it well in previous games. Several players have come off the bench all year and consistently made impacts, I think Heaney is the only person to consistently do that for Galway? Add to that, I have reservations about both Gleeson and the Galway fullback who I think is a strapping lad but seems very 'all or nothing', and there is every possibility they will do something daft over the 80 odd minutes.

Armagh's half back line has attacked well, McCambridge in particular of late, and they will look to negate the likes of Walsh and Tierney by running them backwards more often than they want to. They will need to get parity in the middle though, and the aforementioned Tierney has been one of several big targets for Gleeson's booming kicks when needed.

It'll be a tight one I think - I don't often back a draw but I'd not rule out level after 80 minutes and extra time. In that case I'd fancy Armagh. If the game is still there in the last quarter, the likes of Oisin O'Neill, Campbell, and Nugent and Burns from the bench might get Armagh over the line.

TLDR Armagh by or Galway by 4 or 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭Robson99

Looks like you have all angles covered there Armagh or Galway by 4 or 5, draw after normal time, draw after extra time…..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Armagh after extra time it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Galway slight favourites but most pundits i've heard are going for Galway. Eight out of nine Indo journalists tipped Galway today with only Philly McMahon going for a draw. For a game so evenly matched and with recent games between the two being so close Galway seem to be roasting hot favourites in the pundit world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

I don't like this 👆hope no-one near the team is paying ant attention to these pundits

Advertisement