Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitution question?

Options
  • 04-04-2024 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭

I have just submitted a substitution application from an unrestricted 22lr pistol licence to an unrestricted 22lr rifle licence. Both are competition target shooting firearms. Which I thought was like for like. Only to be told that it's not like for like because it is going from a pistol to a rifle.

What's the story on this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I think the whole substitution thing is not well defined as a process. In particular around like for like. Largely left to the person decided to interpret, as least as far as i am aware.

• Shotgun - shotgun. Like for like, probably
    • Shotgun - Rifle. Maybe like for like if unrestricted. Or not as different firearms/applications.
    • Rifle - Pistol. Maybe like for like if unrestricted target rifles. Or not as different types of firearm.

This would be solved if the person was licensed for a Type/Class of firearm rather than the rifle. Then person could then exchange within that class/type with greater flexibility

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Wadi14

I have substituted a 22 pistol and replaced it with a 22 rifle.

Your not doing a like for like someone is being pedantic with you.

Below is taken from the guidelines

It should be noted however that an issuing person has discretion and every application to
    substitute one firearm for another is considered on its own individual merits.

The issuing officer is not the FO

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Districts will come up with their own hoopla on what subs can and cannot be done.
    Mine is I think on the stricter side, will not do a sub that changes firearm type(ie pistol to rifle, rifle to shotgun etc) or classification(non restricted to restricted).

They will however sub air or rimfire rifles for centrefire rifles, since they are all rifles.

They will not however sub a licence for say, target shooting, using a rimfire rifle, to a hunting and target shooting licence for centrefire.
    A buddy had a pair of 22lrs, one for target and hunting, the other for target only.
    He wanted to get into deer so tried to sub his target only 22 to a 270 for deer and targets.
    FO said the super said they couldn't as that was a change of purpose, and would require a new application for the 270 and cancelling the target 22lr.

He ended up just applying for the 270 and keeping the 2 22s 😋

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

Sub came thru the letterbox yesterday, only 8 days. Very good FO here in Kilkenny City.

I'll collect my, new to me, Anschutz 2013 in the morning. Hopefully beat my best score as well, 247 8X, with it.

Post edited by clivej on

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MasonIan

Not bad Clive, was that the 247 from the 10m line? :p

• Advertisement

No 10m line from the bench in Harbour House Sports Club, I shot that at 50m. Center X ammo.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Scalachi

Thats a 246 Clive !!! 4 x 1 = 246 ???

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

Time to replace the guage or the range officers glasses

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

Yes I see it now 😳😳

• Advertisement
Advertisement