Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't drive - can I get son insured as named driver

Options
  • 04-04-2024 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭

My wife can't drive for medical reasons, but has a full license, insurance and no claims.

Is it possible for her to take out insurance to get our son,as a named driver ?

He is on his first provisional, so he could drive her round and she would be the accompanying driver, but would not drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That's fronting and not allowed. Your son will have to be the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

that’s called “fronting” and its illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭GTTDI GOD

Is your wife not driving for a temporary measure or would it be more permanent? If it’s more permanent, it would be questioned, but if it’s temporary I couldn’t see a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭JVince

Aside from fronting, she would be taking insurance out knowing she is medically unfit to drive - that in itself would render the insurance void.

And as she is currently medically unable to drive, she would not be fit as the "accompanying " person.

If however the medical reason was temporary and she was possibly able to drive a short distance without difficulty, then a case could be had.

But remember, if your son drove unaccompanied and was stopped, the car would be seized

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

Please explain how him driving her around in her own car is fronting and illegal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

IT would need to be declared that she is the owner and that the only driver would be the son. That would then allow insurers to charge suitable premium having all the info to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

You need to clarify your statement that she has insurance, yet wants to take out insurance. Is this a 2nd vehicle or just adding your son to her policy?

Insurance premiums are based on the main driver. The son is the main driver not the mother. Fronting is when someone other than the main driver takes out insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

She's been off the road for a year and her no claims lapses next month. Wondering if it is worth renewing.

She won't be declared fit to drive in the foreseeable.

From the comments, it looks like a big no

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks all, never heard of fronting before.

In any case, not giving the insurance company all info would invalidate the polic

y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In the policy assumptions (with Axa it's in the 'statement of fact') it will typically say that the policyholder ('the insured') is the main driver of the car. That will clearly not be the case so she has no business renewing an existing policy or taking out a new policy (in her name) to include the son as a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭XsApollo

how is this fronting?
    she already has insurance? And people are perfectly entitled to have insurance to keep their no claims even if they don’t use the car.

It’s not fronting, for sure your wife can get insurance and get her son named on the car , to use for driving while she the full licensed drive is in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

She isn't medically fit to drive, so would have to outright lie to renew anyway.

The main driver of a car has to be the first on the list; as their risk and experience is what the main bulk of the cost is based on.

She isn't even able to be the fully licenced driver - you need to be able to take over.

Your advice is terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But the OP doesn't say that she is renewing, just that she has insurance in place. It reads that this is for the purpose of practice while the son does the lessons and with her in the passenger seat etc. Which is a little different from the normal situation with 'fronting' and the younger (qualified) driver just out on their own. Not exactly as clear cut as made out, best to call her insurance company and talk to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,428 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is some confusion in the information supplied by the OP.

In his first post, he says that the lady has 'a full license, insurance and no claims'. Then, in post #10, he says that 'her no claims lapses next month'. That second statement suggests that she has no policy in place and hasn't had one for more than a year such that if she doesn't take out a new policy by next month at the latest, she will lose her NCB.

Either way, if she can't drive then she has no business either renewing or taking out a new policy.

There is no problem with her renewing her insurance and no one driving the car, if the car is valuable it's a good idea to do this.

The problem comes from renewing the policy with her as the main driver and the son as a named driver when the son is the only driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

The definition of "main driver" is quite difficult in some cases, and may change throughout the insurance policy.

I can add my son as a named driver in my policy, but eventually (say for a couple of months) my son might drive the car much more often than me. Then it might change later, and vice-versa. Who is actually the "main" and the "second" driver here? Not even the person might be able to tell you! This is particularly typical with husband/wife as drivers of the same car.

What would an insurance company do in case of a claim made by the named driver on the policy? How are they going to investigate how often the named driver uses the car? To me this is simply practically impossible.

The OPs wife can't drive so she can't be the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭on_the_roots

I know, maybe I'm in the wrong thread but it was more like a wide question.

If the OPs wife goes to take out a policy, she will be asked questions relating to medical conditions affecting her ability to drive. If answered correctly, cover will be declined, so the issue of adding a driver is irrelevant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yes, but probably won't be asked those if she just renews……….

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would be breaching the policy rules by not informing them of the rather critical change.

She has gone beyond renewal, but the duty to disclose revives at renewal regardless

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭con747

If the OP's wife has a valid policy and lets it lapse they have 2 years to renew before the no claims bonus expires AFAIK.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Advertisement