Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 nights in Abu Dhabi ...

Options
  • 05-04-2024 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭

So heading to Kenya via Abu Dhabi and they seem to really want people to stop over .. booking flights there was an option to stay a few days there and can't believe how cheap hotels are.

So .. any advice on what we can do ? family, 2 kids 12 + 8 …

I am looking at a desert dune tour …

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭scooby77

What time of year? Bringing kids ( school holidays) and cheap hotels suggests July/ August?

If so I'd think twice. I've lived UAE, still visit regularly (was there last week), and love heat...but July/ August there-no thanks! 45° + and very high humidity...

Having said that I like Abu Dhabi...among other things Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is a must see, and very welcoming and I hear Ferrari World is fab ( just need convince wife!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

July!!

OK so indoor AC places … but surely you can take dune tours in the evening ??

Not much cooler then tbh, and certainly no less humid....but you know your own family tolerances best.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭mikewest

If you haven't done deserts, it's still stupidly hot in the evening. Now I am odd in that I like that kind of heat but most Irish people don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the Louvre is great. And you have all the stuff on Yas Island

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I had a two night stop over in Abu Dhabi when I went to South Korea last year. The hotel was heavily discounted. I think I paid half of what I would have paid by booking the hotel through the airline rather than a booking site for the same nights.

I took a day trip to Dubai and saw the sights there. The Burj Khalifa was top of my list in the UAE so I used my free time on the trip to go see the tower. It's very impressive if you're into buildings. We saw the Palm Jumeirah and the Gold and Spice souks also on the trip.

My second day I had the best of intentions of getting out and about to see Abu Dhabi but it was so hot and hotel/pool was so nice I ended up just having a lazy day in the hotel.

I was there in May and the temperatures were 43/44 celcius during the day and the high 30s at night. My hotel was on the water and there was a bit of a breeze but the breeze was like standing in front of a hair dryer. The heat is intense and very energy sapping. The AC in some places is nearly too much and you end up nearly feeling a bit cold.

oh wow I didn't realise Dubai was so close, ok definetely going to see/go up Burj Khalifa!!

Out of curiosity why using Etihad? I've used ME airline once for Africa, was long way round but was exceptionally cheaper, but usually I stick to European for trips (South Africa, Namibia and Kenya once) A cursory glance at Nairobi for a random 2 weeks in July suggests BA are quicker and cheaper? Lufthansa and KLM not far behind. (Not biased against ME3, like their offering and use regularly)

When we booked Etihad were cheapest, got return flights (Barcelona - AD - Nairobi) for 4 pax for about €2800

Ah, apologies assumed ex Dublin. Kenya, particularly Masai Mara fab…enjoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Alexus25

Is it true you can work in UAE tax free for 2 years do you know?

So Etihad just cancelled the Nairobi leg of the flights … just like that.

So got a refund and rebooked same dates via Emirates - actually flights are better , I prefer it.

But problem is we got a non refundable place in Abu Dhabi … so have to fight for more compensation from Etihad.

Think I'd be better off begging tbh.

Beginning to regret this leg of the trip, should have just went via BA or Lufthansa and skip the ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,507 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Abu Dhabi ( ETIHAD) and Dubai (Emirates) are only about 70 Minutes apart. So if flights are the same you could still keep your booking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 TaliyahGarrett

Hey there! Three nights in Abu Dhabi with a family sounds like a fun adventure. I actually wasn't sure what to do with a layover in Abu Dhabi myself until a recent trip, but let me tell you, there's more to this city than meets the eye!

Theme Park Thrills. If your kids are into rides, Yas Island is your saving grace. Think Ferrari World Abu Dhabi (the world's fastest rollercoaster!) or Yas Waterworld for some splashy fun. My niece and nephew went nuts there - we practically had to drag them out! Even a day trip would be enough to tire them out (in a good way).

Cultural Gems. Now, for a change of pace, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque is absolutely stunning. It's one of the largest mosques in the world, and the intricate details are breathtaking. Just remember to dress modestly (they provide abayas for women if needed).

Advertisement