Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open heart surgery

Options
  • 06-04-2024 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I am a 47 year old man. I'm due to have open heart surgery to replace my tricuspid valve in the coming weeks. I am a regular gym goer and lead an active life. Non smoker, social drinker. Does anyone have any advice on how to maintain my fitness level or how long it might take for me to resume a regular exercise regime post surgery?

Best Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It's great that you're looking ahead to maintaining your fitness level post-surgery. However, it's crucial to prioritize healing and follow the guidance of your healthcare team first and foremost. Recovery times and the ability to resume activities can vary widely based on individual factors, the specifics of your surgery, and your overall health.

Initially, rest is essential. Your body needs energy to heal. Follow your doctor's advice closely.

When your doctor gives you the green light to start exercising again, begin with low-intensity activities. Walking is often the first exercise recommended. The pace and distance can gradually increase as you feel more comfortable and with your doctor's approval.

Many patients participate in cardiac rehabilitation after heart surgery. This supervised program is designed to improve cardiovascular health post-surgery through tailored exercise, education, and support. It's a great way to safely increase your activity level under medical supervision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

I’d endorse everything said above from personal experience. The cardiac rehab program in the Mater was excellent and gives you the knowledge, motivation and confidence to (re)establish a healthy fitness regime. And at 47, you’ll eventually run rings around the mostly older participants!
    But it takes a couple of months recovery to get to the point you can start that. You’ll feel like an 87 year old man immediately after heart surgery. Don’t panic. You’ll feel yourself improving gradually. Do a little bit more as and when you can. Rest lots, you need to - buy a few books. Don’t neglect your mental health. Sit outside when you can. Encourage people to visit you in the first few weeks. Make plans for the future.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a big heart attack (aged 43) just over seven years ago and whilst I didn't need surgery (got stented), me delaying getting medical help meant that the lower part of my heart muscle died and I was lucky to still be upright (somehow).

Post-event, I was wrecked and would be out of breath quite easily. My heart was pumping about 15% (I think normal flow is about 70%) and apparently had lost some of its shape and would take time to get back to normal.

The cardiac rehab in Blanch was great both physically and mentally. As it happened, I was the youngest there (by a few decades), but the other guys were all good craic - most were heart attack survivors but one had open heart surgery.

The rehab helped me get confidence on how to manage myself going forwards from an exercise perspective but also educated me on my meds, diet, etc.

Over time I got back to normal. My heart muscle somehow compensated for the dead section and my flow rate after about a year was up to 65-70%.

I initially did some walking to keep me exercised. It was my cardiologist who gave me the kick in the arse to get back on my bike and now I'm doing about 250-300km per week on it (pushing myself as much as I can).

I do find that some of my meds which keep my blood pressure down do mean that if I'm exerting myself too much, I can feel it. This means that for me, my heart rate getting to about 150bpm is where my body starts telling me to back off - but at this stage, I'm used to it and I'm OK with it. It means that when I'm on the bike, I won't be flying up the hills but that's fine.

Anyhow, you'll be limited initially so discuss your concerns with your cardiologist and don't try to rush things. It will take time to heal fully.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

At this point, the procedure is common enough and your cardiologist will have had plenty of experience that they could do it in their sleep but yeah, I can imagine you'd be nervous nonetheless.

For my first stent attempt, i was also quite nervous but the male nurse who shaved my wrist managed to take a layer of skin off which I think helped distract me.

When my second stent attempt was being done (and the patient is awake for the whole thing) my nervousneess wasnt there. I'm able to see the tv monitors the cardiologist was looking at and after a while he had to tell me to stop asking him questions 🤣

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chapo06

Thank you very much, that's very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Chapo06

Thanks guys, it's really encouraging to hear your stories. The thought of the surgery and the recovery process is a little daunting, so it's good to hear how other people have dealt with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I'm 37 years of age and I've had two open heart surgeries and require a third one in the future. If you want to message me I have no problem answering any of your questions and concerns.

Advertisement