Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winora Hydraulic Rim Brakes

Options
  • 06-04-2024 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Driven by the fact that, in my eighties, all the hills around my neighbourhood have got so much steeper, I recently lashed out and bought a 2018 Winora Sinus electric bike. This machine has a Shimano Nexus 7-speed hub gear which incorporates a back-pedal brake. It also has front and rear hydraulic rim brakes which to me feel somewhat soft and spongy. Does anyone know how to bleed and top these up, as I can't for the life of figure out see how it might be done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I would suspect that the hydraulic rim brakes are actually made by Magura. If that's the case, then the Magura website has maintenance videos like this

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Hi Mefisto,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, I've been away from my screen for a while. Thank you very much for your response, and the brakes are indeed Magura. A couple of questions remain, mainly because I've never before had hydraulic brakes. Firstly, are all hydraulic fluids the same? If not, can I mix any new fluid with what's already in the system and which is unknown to me? And secondly, do you know where in Dublin or on-line I might find the special equipment (syringes, fluid, &c.) required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

There are two different types of hydraulic fluid and they are not mixable or interchangeable. The Magura fluid is a mineral oil but I don't know if you can use any mineral oil based brake fluid eg Shimano or if you have to stick with their proprietary "Royal Blood" fluid. You may have to Google for sources in Dublin.

For bleed kits, Decathlon do one but make sure it's the mineral oil kit.

Thanks a million Mefisto, you’ve been a tremendous help to me. In fact, based on the stuff you sent me I’ve been able to adjust the brakes to a satisfactory level so that the immediate pressure is off - I had been kind of relying on the hub brake, then thought about where I’d be if the chain came off! But I’ve always done my own maintenance and will invest in what’s needed to do a bleed & refill later. Again, I can’t thank you enough for you help.
    Alan O’Brien

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I never knew there were hydraulic rim brakes. In terms of a bleed kit, I bought this last year and find it good, has everything you need for disc brakes at least including the little 7mm spanner and very reasonable. Spend a bit of time looking at different kits from different stores and that looked the best value for money, it was £11.88 when I bought in Jan 2023

Also got this little tub of mineral oil for £5.65, more than you'll need. I did a full bleed of front and back and still have about half the tub left. Have read some reports of people using baby oil when they didn't have specific mineral oil to hand but you might as well get the proper stuff.

• Advertisement

Thanks Doc, I’ll check that out. I used to get a lot of stuff from UK but gave up on them post-Brexit and changed to Amazon.de. Did you have any trouble with delivery/taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,986 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Amazon UK handle all the taxes and fees generally now. The price that you see at checkout is the price that you will pay including and extra charges. The odd time I come across something that says it wont ship to Ireland but most of the time its fine. Sometimes the price changes between putting it in the basket and going to checkout and that is adjusting the taxes and charges.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dosing syringes for cattle are also handy and cheap if you live near a co-op or a Vet.

Thanks everybody for your help. I've learnt a lot these last few days and think I know where I'm going with this now. Great forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I hope I'm still cycling and learning new stuff in my 80's!

• Advertisement

More people die in their 70s than in any other decade; the trick is to get through them as quickly as possible. 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

my 30 year old mtb has magura hydraulic rim brakes. never had to bleed them. although that bike is retired now ,threads on bb shell worn out.

Advertisement