Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horror/Survival/Generally scary or unsettling games recommendations.

• 06-04-2024 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭

I'm on the lookout for recommendations for any scary, horror, survival type games for any systems up to PS2/GameCube era please. (And also although not retro any that are on Switch)

Not for me, I was scared by the nazi zombies in the first Uncharted game so I have no stomach for this type of game :pac:

My (16yo) son apparently loves them (goodness knows why) and I'm looking for suggestions to show him. He's played the Resident Evil games on Switch and PS1 as well as Silent Hill on PS1, I'm sure he's probably played others.

Don't have to be gore and blood fests either. Cheers!

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

All of the project zero/fatal frame games are on ps2/xbox and some of them on switch too.

If he liked Resident Evil on PS1 he might like Dino Crisis 1 and 2 also. Possibly Parasite Eve 2 as well.

Eternal Darkness on Gamecube is sorta that genre too.

On the cheap and cheerful side, Alien Isolation probably falls into that genre and its cheap on xbox one. Evil Within 1 and 2 on PS4/Xbox One. (ALSO worth having a look for SOMA if it's on sale digitally on the more modern eshops). The Outlast games are pretty cheap too.

I really liked the Dead Space games too (unpopular opinion, but I liked ALL of them).. and the recent remake on modern consoles is pretty great and probably falls into this category. The Callisto effect is cheap these days and is a pretty good rip off of Dead Space.

… it goes without saying that if he has not already played silent hill 2 … that might be the best the genre has ever produced, so start there. There are some lesser known titles too on PS2 like Haunting ground, Clock Tower 3, The Suffering, Obscure 1 & 2, Forbidden Siren 1 & 2 (and Siren Blood Curse if you have a PS3) that are worth a look. Cold Fear also is one that surprised me for the OG Xbox / PS2. Looked and played way better than most of that generation for my money.

Since you have a Switch, Signalis is often cheap on CEX and Amazon. Darkwood is available on switch I think also, albeit only digitally I think and although I haven't played it yet I am told I should.

I also hear good things about the Amnesia series: mainly Dark Descent and the most recent one @"The Bunker", but since I haven't been able to find a physical release I am holding out on playing that one for now until it comes up in a sale digitally (or gets a physical release).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Fantastic, thanks for so many recommendations, it's much appreciated.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Id recommend Soma as well along with the other Frictional games. Great horror game with some proper hard sci fi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I liked forbidden siren when it came out but haven't played it in a long time.

A seriously underrated action horror set of games are the condemned games on the 360. Melee first person horror, they were always very cheap to get secondhand too but maybe a little more now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first game is excellent but a faq is a must to progress in the game. The second game is a little easier to understand when it comes to the objectives and has more gameplay variety but don't think it matches the original. There's also the PS3 remake of the original. All three are well worth your time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Yeah I rented the first one for the weekend and had no idea what to do and it was really scary because I just consistently died haha

Few months later with a walkthrough in hand and rented it again.

Always found it so odd I couldn't kill the enemy's, it was so different to me at the time. Same for Silent Hill 4, which I replayed last year and actually really enjoyed it, far from perfect but has a very creepy feeling still to me

Advertisement