Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Resolved] Getting unfairly treated by moderator in forum

• 06-04-2024 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭

I have now received 3 warnings in the last few months from a moderator named "Raichu" on the following thread

The first one was revised to a 0 point warning which was dealt with appropriately in an earlier resolution. However it has since pointed towards a trend

The second one was received earlier today for "backseat moderating" when I requested another poster who was being uncivil to me and I requested he keep on topic.

The latest one was for being "uncivil" to another poster, not nearly as uncivil as I have had to put up with I should add.

The moderator in question has stated on numerous occasions on this thread that he has a different opinion to me. While I respect different opinions it's clear that this moderator does not. I believe the amount of abuse thrown at me in this thread is hugely unfair and yet I am being warned, not others, for standing my ground.

It is my opinion, therefore, that the moderator who goes as "Raichu" should be removed as a moderator with immediate effect. He/she is clearly trying to keep the conversation in favour of his/her opinion and trying to stifle debate. Open and safe debate is something that this website is meant to promote

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Just to update on this, I've now been given a further warning for claiming somebody who thinks the return scheme are trying to control us in some way has an alternate view of reality

I've been told not to post in that thread for 48 hours (which I will, as per the rules, comply with, unless advised differently otherwise by higher powers

It is, however, clear that this moderator does not agree with my point of view on this matter and that is why s/he is taking these actions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hi,

Can you specify which of the sanctions you are appealing please?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The following posts and details beneath given by the mod

Warning received by mod: backseat moderating

Reason for appeal: More of a tongue in cheek comment, used by many on this website when conversations go off track

Warning received by mod: A poster being uncivil does not give you carte blanch to also be uncivil.

Reason for appeal: This poster was being uncivil consistently, clearly no warnings for him/her. I was merely giving as good as I get which should have been clear to the moderator

Warning received by mod: More uncivil posting.

Further Sanction: Threadban until 4pm Tuesday 10th.

Reason for appeal: Again this poster was being uncivil towards me and. I was merely giving as good as I get which should have been clear to the moderator.

Notably no mod editing to the above abuse thrown my way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,913 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Can you please share the PM exchanges with the mod where you attempted to resolve this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I did not feel it wise to exchange PMs for fear of further sanction and "poking the bear" as some might say

• Advertisement

It's part of the process. If you won't want to exchange the PM's, we'll have to stop the appeal.

Very well

I will appeal this with the moderator in question and get back to you

Apologies in advance for the long post, there has been quite a bit of over and back. My threadban ends at 4pm today so you adjudicate to extend this it won't have an effect. With that being said this is heavy handed moderating and I feel should be looked at in the interest of keeping open debate safe

Nice alternate view of reality you have there. Presume you don't have proof for this?

I appealed on the basis that to call the above comment "uncivil" is a bit of a stretch

In isolation I would agree, however I’ve observed a lot of uncivil commentary from you in the thread and a great deal of demanding (not asking but demanding) proof whenever someone disagrees with your opinion.

You can obviously ask someone for proof if you want but what you cannot do is badger or call people names when they don’t offer it or offer proof that’s substandard.

I responded by asking if it's not necessarily uncivil is the repeat commentary uncivil? I also made the point that the mod says s/he is not very active on this thread in question yet ovserved a lot of uncivil commentary from myself?

Also when I make the point that I take as good as I can get. And I get plenty which would suggest that I am the only one being warned, which is a bit unfair

I mean that’s very specious reasoning, you being at the receiving end of uncivil posting is my fault for not moderating enough basically? Perhaps you should consider your posting style is the problem not moderation. I assure you without going into details you are not the only one being sanctioned for poor posting. Not in that thread or any other. Regardless of the above it should be known to you by now that there’s no excuse for hostility. If someone is being uncivil you report them you do not respond in kind, that just leads to both of you getting in trouble. You can’t call someone names for example and defend it by saying they did it first. You’re an adult and should know better. There’s no eye for an eye excuses

I made the point that I do report them but they continue to be active in the thread

To my appeal against the backseat moderating I pointed out how I felt it was a stretch to say that this is "backseat moderating" and was meant as tongue-in-cheek more than anything else.

Totally disagree here. You literally told a poster, because they disagreed with you, to “try stay on topic”. If I ever needed an example of backseat moderation that’s it right there. Sorry but you can’t break the rules and claim it’s a joke man. Next thing you’ll call someone a c you next Tuesday and defend it by saying it’s a joke, would you think that’s practical or reasonable in fairness now? Imagine you’re on the receiving end of that type of comment would you feel it’s fair enough because they said it was a joke? Cmon.

I asked a poster who went on quite a tangent to stay on topic, not because they disagreed. Plenty disagree and I don't ask them to stay on topic

To my claim that in the past the moderator has expressed a strong opinion on this thread and I feel my comments are being targeted more as a result of this

Look, I’m sorry you feel that way, but it certainly is not the case. I actually can’t say I know how you feel about the scheme because I haven’t been following the thread much but what I can tell you is the posts I sanctioned were unacceptable posting. Your opinion on recycling machines does not impact my conclusion.

I made the point that one warning and his comment might make sense here, but multiple warnings in the space of a few hours suggests a link

Moderators reasoning
    All of the posts I infracted were reported as I recall so it wasn’t targeted due to your opinions on DRS. Opinions which as I said I actually don’t remember what they are anyway. You were not singled out either.

if posters are going off topic or being uncivil just report them. You can’t be uncivil because someone else was if posters are being uncivil or offensive just don’t engage. Responding in kind will just lead to infractions for you as well.

My reply
    Still not sure how I am "demanding" proof as opposed to asking for it? It's a claim a few posters have made, all those that disagree with my point of view… Maybe it feels like I'm demanding it because the proof to the claims doesn't exist?

On the point about uncivil posts which you agree it's a stretch to label them that way in isolation, but not a stretch to label them that together? Not sure I follow that logic as surely a post has to breach a threshold (which is a level that I believe my post did not breach) to be considered uncivil… On that note you claim to not be very active on the thread but also you’ve observed a lot of uncivil commentary from me… This suggests you are in fact targeting me, and perhaps other posters

Posters going off topic is a common theme across this website. It seems harsh to hand out warnings for simply pointing it out. I think we can agree mods can't be everywhere at every time and a prompt from other users can be useful but if it's to be considered "backseat moderating" then those are the rules and I will bear it in mind

Moderator Reply

look I think you need to just drop this idea I’m out to get you mate because it’s not the case and frankly your appeal is at a standstill while you continue to assert that suggestion.

You are skirting responsibility while simultaneously trying to pin the blame on me. I have explained to you twice that I am not targeting you, I don’t know or care what your opinion on the DRS is and the scheme as a whole is one I have little investment in. So just to be clear as crystal, your own posting landed you here not my opinions of you.

You cannot badger posters continuously. You are trying to blame everyone around you but at some stage your poor posting and reactions therein have to be recognised by you. If you cannot do that then you will continue to face difficulties with discussion amongst yourself and others and indeed infractions from moderators. Your infraction history is almost entirely warnings for the same thing— uncivil posting. We can’t all be wrong. Are all the mods out to get you? Cmon.

Backseat moderating has never been tolerated and it’s not going to start today. I told you already I have nothing more to add on that topic. You can’t tell people what to do. That’s the end of it.

look, my advice here is go back to DRP and let the cmod take it from here. We are going around in circles at this point and I think it’s best for all involved as at this stage I don’t think I can convince you that I am not persecuting you for opinions

Hi Red Silurian,

I've reviewed this and I completely agree with the moderator. You've posted repeatedly in a sneering, condescending manner. Posters are expected to be civil on this site. This line about giving as good as you're getting isn't applicable.

If you have a problem with a post, please report it. Moderators do not pre-approve all posts and we're all volunteers so it can take time to check every report.

Please let me know if you wish to appeal to an admin.

• Advertisement

I was not expecting this but I am obviously in the wrong here so I do not wish for this to be escalated further. I have served my threadban time and am actually turned off that particular thread by this whole experience so there would be no benefit to appealing this further

While I am disappointed by this, I will take on board what you say and post in a less sneering and condescending manner in the future and report posts instead of responding to them.

I just wish to point out that I fully accept that mods are volunteers who give their spare time to this website. I also accept that ye can't pre-approve all posts and that it can take a lot of time to check every report. I have no complaints in this manner and I apologise if my posts have suggested otherwise

You may close this thread when ready as I will not be appealing to an admin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement