Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best place to exchange euro for sterling

• 07-04-2024 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of buying a house up north and will need to have my deposit ready soon. My savings are in a euro credit union account and I’m wondering where I would get the best exchange odds to convert?

Thank you

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭Spocker

Try CurrencyFair or Wise or perhaps Revolut - none of the Irish banks will be able to match their rates

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭SheldonC17

is Revolut Premium worth it when transferring a large amount?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭daheff

only way you can compare is to request some rates off providers at the same time. They all claim to have best rates etc, but then add extras/fees etc. only way to do a proper comparison is to request a quote at a specific time for the amount you want to exchange. see who comes back with the best quote. And even then, the day you go to do it, you could find you get a bad rate from them.

alternatively you could split the transaction amongst 2 or 3 of the providers. that way some of your transaction will be at the best rate and some at a worse rate. but not all will be at the worse rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭3DataModem

I've made some big transfers, and have always found Wise and Revolut to be very competitive. Wise in particular for larger amounts, to the point that I wouldn't bother even doing a rate comparison.

If you are talking about a house deposit presumably its under e100k, right now the Revolut rate is about GBP 200 better than Wise but that's before revolut fees, which depend on day of week as well as plan.

Advertisement