Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing 25% of Body Weight

Options
  • 07-04-2024 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Have been overweight for years and really want to make a change. I'm a 38 year old male with a diagnosed mental health disorder, abuse of booze ( and other things ) and binge eating contributed to me ballooning up to a massive 114kg over lockdown. Down to 104kg now which is progress but still miles away from where I want to be. Current BMI of 36.0 and 37% body fat , feels awful just to write that down but hoping starting this thread to keep myself, motivated and accountable to track progress. Goal is to get to 78 kg. Loose target of 6 months feels a bit ambitious, but we will see how things go and adjust accordingly.

Sunday 07/04 :

Exercise: 1400 metre swim.

Meals : 2x Bananas , Scampi, peas & Chips for dinner.

Not the healthiest option for dinner I know, but I'm in a house share that alternates cooking and Sunday is usually a 'cheat' meal so can't always choose the dinner. Will try to keep the calories down by eating less during the day.

Gonna be doing mostly cardio , but might add in some weights also. Heard conflicting things on this though so I'm a bit unsure, should I lift weights when trying to lose weight, or just focus on cutting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Great job on the self motivation!

Im far from an expert but what I read which seems to make sense, is by doing weights you improve muscle mass, you therefore lose more calories while at rest.

Muscle weighs more than fat so, if you improve muscle mass then you will weigh more, so it might feel like you are not making progress by looking at the scales, so I would advise use the scales as a guideline. What you are really looking to achieve is slim down, tone up and basically look better naked(and clothed).

At my heaviest I was 114kg. I'm now 97, so it can be done. As the old adage goes, you can't outrun a bad diet and thats how I made my progress.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,423 ✭✭✭✭fits

focus on eating lots of protein and fibre with every meal. Absolutely start strength training. You want to lose the fat and keep the muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭sojustrutz

Monday: 08/04

2x sets of Fartlek run. This is run 5mins (6.3 mph) , walk 2.5 mins, run 4 mins (6.5mph), walk 2 mins, run 3 mins (6.7 mph) , walk 1.5 mins , run 2 mins (7 mph), walk 1 min , run 1 min (8.5 mph)

Total Calories burned : 3750

Meals : 1 x banana , 1 x large packet fridge raiders chicken bites , veggie bolognaise for dinner. 2 squares dark chocolate.

Fluids : 2x Black coffee, 2x Tea , 4 litres water.

Tuesday: 09/04

3x sets of Fartlek same speed as above. Really happy to get up to 45 minutes running, haven't ran that much in a day in a long time. Was banjaxed after though so didn't get any weights in which I had hoped to do. Will try doing strength training before cardio in future.

Total Calories Burned: 4400

Meals : 1 x Banana , 1 x Packet Fridge raider chicken, mushroom soup and a couple slices of wholemeal bread. 2x squares dark chocolate.

Fluids : 2x Black coffee, 2x Tea , 4 litres water.

Well done on the weight loss, that's impressive! Really want to get down to double digits on the KG's that will feel like a good milestone to pass. How long did it take you to lose that, were you doing a lot of exercise / strength training or was it mostly diet?

Cheers fits for the advice. Any good strength training programme you could suggest? Was looking at the 5x5 programme.

• Advertisement
Advertisement