Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats a decent drive

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭frisbeeface

Found this image useful to visualise the 'penalty' for being short vs in the rough vs in the trees. It's based on shotscope data averages for 14 handicap. My course is narrow and tree lined so avoiding trees is more valuable than extra yards.

The notion that you'll be better off bombing the ball as far as you can is something I've seen a lot on articles/youtube but seems to be an oversimplification/misinterpretation of what the shots gained data actually says. That's besides that all that data is based on averaging out a huge number of players but that individual players have very different strengths and weaknesses so you can't just apply that average data to everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭bobster453

Quote of the year and its only April..

"Most amateurs couldn't shape play dough."

Classic😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭bobster453

Ah it does really for amateurs.Of course if you can stick the ball 2 feet from the hole every time putting becomes less of a determining factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I guess you can't disagree with data (if there is solid stuff ) - but I'm not convinced that higher handicap players - and I mean even from above single figures - deal with rough as well as is made out.

It is grand for very skillful players well up course - using very high loft in rough.

But for most , Being in even short rough can result in a top - a roll out over green or into a bunker - loss of control - this all is compounded with poor short games and inability to recover.

But - just an opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Russman

Yeah, I think this is largely true. The data, at least as its presented (and assuming its correct), definitely suggests getting as far as you can towards the green is way more beneficial. I think people sometimes miss the "without bringing big trouble into play" caveat though and just chase distance.

I think what is sometimes missed though is both the course you play and the nature of your bad shots. Its all very well using the average to show something, but the penalty for a bad shot or even a slightly bad shot will play massively into an individual's choices. I think it ultimately comes down to something I remember Tiger saying in an interview back in the early 2000s, when he was asked about Harrington, when Paddy made the jump from good touring pro to being one of the world's best, Tiger said the difference was that "….his bad shots are better"

I know from my own Shotscope data that I lose the bulk of my negative strokes gained "Off the Tee" and when I miss the fairway on the right, it costs me the most Vs being positive strokes gained when I hit the fairway, and slightly negative when I miss on the left. Given I'm a lefty and a pull hook is my bad drive, this really makes sense. A hook is way more destructive than a push or fade. Its not something I didn't know, but it was interesting to see it quantified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

The term "average" should be stricken from everything golf .

Completely useless stat in golf.

And we still have to use it with the WHS.

Advertisement