Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bus gates on Bachelors Walk and Aston Quay

1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭alentejo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

On road links crossing the river to the West, probably not at all feasible but there's access for service vehicles off Porterstown Road (and a service vehicle depot?). Could this possibly be remodelled to allow public transport access (barrier controls at Porterstown Rd), thus linking the N4/Liffey Valley to Coolimine, Blanch and beyond? I've no idea what engineering works this would require!!

Back on topic, the bus gates were being very well observed today. I crossed O'Connell Bridge a couple of times and cycled down Aston Quay from Westmoreland St on the way home. No cars broke the rules that I saw.

An unfortunate downside of the bus gate is that taxis on Aston Quay now move very fast. Not nice when you're navigating the cratered road on a bike!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Forget it. You will not get free flowing buses to the M50 via porterstown road. By microscopy mindlessly linking all these roads together it's become a rat run with way too much traffic for the size of the road. Theres even a petition due to the accidents. In terms of public transport. It's turned into gridlock at both ends due to the poor planning.

https://www.change.org/p/install-traffic-calming-on-porterstown-road

And it will get worse with major apartments complexes being built nearby, coolmine bridge closing, porterstown bridge closing and clonsilla bridge, Kellystown being built.

All this traffic has no where to go and a lot of it will come down Dr Troy bridge and also porterstown road.

If this route is something you're hoping to use a lot in the future I'd rethink your plans.

The solution was/is rail metro west. Roads are just not too be able deal with what's coming.

The bus gates are a realisation of that future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭28064212

What would the issue be with enforcement? Many years ago, I was in a queue of traffic in North City Dublin approaching a major, light-controlled junction, planning to turn left at it. Being the impatient youngster that I was, at 500m back from the junction, I took a left into a housing estate, followed by a right and left to skip the traffic. Immediately before I reached the main road I was aiming for, I was pulled over by a Garda and informed I would be receiving a fine and a penalty point for making an illegal turn - entering the housing estate was (quite reasonably) banned at peak times except for access to prevent it being used as a rat run.

There is no legal impediment to enforcement. Whether there's the political will to actually do the enforcement is an entirely different question.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭VonLuck

They should really extend the central footpath median from O'Connell Street towards O'Connell bridge so that the pedestrian crossing distance is reduced and it limits the opportunity for cars turning back into the bus lane to continue straight. Below is really how it should be at the moment:

And ideally in the permanent case it would look like this:

It's likely the two-way cycle scheme is intended to turn onto O'Connell Bridge instead of straight to Eden Quay, but you get the idea. Think of all the extra footpath space. You could have outdoor seating, landscaping, reducing crossing times etc. I don't see any (logical) reason for this not to happen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement