Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MPC App (US Travel Related)

Options
  • 09-04-2024 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭

I remember reading about this app when it first came out and I wasn't really too sure what it does. But saw this video on Tik Tok

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZGeu1e6bA/

It seems like it just allows you to preanswer the questions about anything to declare etc that the immigration officers will ask you and according to the video people who have used the app have a separate and faster queue. Haven't seen much talk about it but thought it might be useful to people on here.

This is the link to the Android version https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=gov.dhs.cbp.pspd.mpc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭kc56

Yes. I used it recently. Load the details into the App. Then when at the airport, take a selfie in the App and upload. At the immigration desk, you are recognized from the selfie, show the passport, and that's it. At least with on Visa Waiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Used it this week, skipped a very long queue and got through in record time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭trellheim

If you are still showing a passport, how is it different ? you still have to rock up to the CBP lad in a queue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭VG31

I used this when flying to the US in March. There was a dedicated desk for the MPC app and I was able to skip a long queue. I don't know if this is still the case but the CBP agent said they weren't able to scan the QR code yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭what the hell!

What about the ESTA app? Would one or the other do?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭jjnaas

They are different things. The ESTA app allows you to apply for an ESTA and check the status of one. You must get your ESTA whether you apply in the app or on desktop.

The MPC app allows you to submit your picture and answer immigration questions on the day which speeds you up as there is a separate queue for those who have completed this process in advance on the MPC app.

So, it's not one or the other. It's apply for ESTA and get it approved (use the ESTA app if you wish) and then use the MPC app on the day to speed up going through immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

First time through Preclearance last week and used the MPC app - it was very easy to just sit in the airport and just run through it - took no more than a minute or so.

After boarding card check there was a seperate MPC queue - not that there were any queues when I was there but anyway. Only got asked a few questions about purpose-of-trip etc etc and was through in under a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I downloaded the app with the intention of using it, but when walking through the airport to preclearance stopping and faffing about uploading the pic seemed more effort than queuing to talk to the regular dude. When I went through last weekend they had a massive queue upstairs and no queue at all once past the second security and they rarely ask me more than purpose of visit and who I work for anyway. But I guess if you get that far and there's a big queue it would be worth taking the selfie and skipping it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭markpb

My wife flew on Saturday afternoon and said there was no separate queue for MPC app users. She asked some of the staff and they confirmed no separate queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭x567

Just flew in to MIA from SNN via LHR and used this for the first time (I now have Global Entry, but Mrs x567 doesn’t so otherwise it’s back to the queues when travelling together). Very impressed. No hassle to use at all and skipped a big queue for non US passport holders. We were through in less than 3 minutes…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,454 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah this will be a big timesaver for anyone arriving in the US from a non preclearance airport.

Advertisement