Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New bike lane being built at the arse end of skehard road. What's the point?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

'

All of this has been obviously drawn out on a computer somewhere - yet no account was made for the large Double Decker Buses that use this road' - except you had just said that the bus used the old line, so the driver was in the wrong, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭65535

There are 2 lines still on the road - this morning a Driver decides to use the middle (old) line to come towards me making me stop on the road until they saw what they were doing.

Nowhere in above sentence do I mention a Bus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

you mentioned buses in the paragraphs before and after the incident you described - its not out of the question to presume you were talking about a bus driver here also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Kalimah

It's a similar situation where I live in Dublin - cycle lanes squeezed into road space rather than grass verges being reduced. It's a chicane now with lanes running in and out of each other, not enough room for buses to turn, bus stops on islands out from the footpath to accommodate cycles lanes, roads narrowed so much that two buses can hardly pass each other etc etc. Getting on a off a bus is now more hazardous. You can't overtake a bus now either in many cases when it's at a stop because of these changes.

I blame the Greens and whatever idiots the council employ to design these things. None of them have a clue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,081 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Regarding cycle lanes, generally in Cork, I really can't get over just how badly designed and conceived almost all of them are. If cycling I rarely use most of them as they give cyclists less priority they would have on the road and they constantly feed cyclists onto footpaths and/or are situated such that pedestrians constantly walk in them. Others are so short, you wonder what the point of them are. Add in zero enforcement for parking in them, too.

They are almost all worse than useless in that they annoy both motorists and pedestrians and have virtually no benefit to cyclists.

Advertisement