Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slurry Tanker Issues

• 10-04-2024 4:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hi,

Had to spread a few load of slurry yesterday evening (first time the tanker was in operation this year)

2 Issues - #1 - The lollipop starting closing itself when I was trying to fill a load. Is there a rubber washer or anything inside the lollipop housing anywhere that gives a bit of friction to keep the lollipop open? Or could it be simply just the valve plate been a bit on the worn side of things. Or I could just simply replace the full lolli pop valve.

#2 - When trying to fill the second or third load, I noticed the pump was NOT sucking for some reason. A few movements over and back of the handle and it started to suck but on the last load it took me a while to get the "suction" to start. I had the lever pulled to the vacuum side and with the lollipop open, disconnected the pipe and no air was been sucked in. I changed the level to blow / empty and air was then pumped out as expected. Upon moving the lever back to vacuum, air was then been sucked in and i got the tanker filled. (not sure if this was just coincidence that it started to vacuum!). I'll also mention that when on vacuum mode, the pump is making a clicking noise as if a vane or something is tipping against something, when switching to blow/empty mode, the pump sounds as per normal. Anyone any thoughts on this, i'll be planning on removing the back plate and lever etc over the weekend to investigate further?

Any advice greatly appreciated especially around the pump not sucking issue.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭dohc turbo2

Have u tried a drop of diesel trough the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes. Sounds like you need diesel through the pump. Farmer tankers that don't do the same level of work as contractor machines have a tendency to have sticking vanes, so it is important to keep them clean and lubricated.

A couple of washes of the pump with diesel should solve it. A litre or so up the exhaust into the pump and left for about 30s - 60s. Reverse the pump and expel the diesel. Repeat.

If that doesn't work you'll need to open the pump up to check the vanes as they might be stuck solid.

Ensure your oil dropper is dripping at the correct rate.

As for the lollypop, have you firstly tried nipping up the bolts on the mechanism? The one out at the pivot is likely the culprit, but ťry them all. See if that works before considering replacing it.

I'd be using a bungee or rope before buying a new lollipop unless there is a lot of wear in the actual gate itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

Tightening the nut as shown should stop the lollypop dropping.

As for the second situation. Last load of season here I always fill tanker with water and when releasing it in neutral I suck up some diesel through the pump. A couple of cupfuls of diesel. Before taking a load out of tank, ensure all the air is released from the previous spreading of the previous load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭148multi

If tightening the nut dose'nt solve it, a large R pin will keep it open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Must try that nut. I've got it resolved in the past but tightening the one I circled.

Will try a few litres of diesel through it this weekend, hopefully that frees up anything that may be jamming up inside it.

Now that I remember, when i finished the slurry last summer, the bulk tank was out of diesel so I had none around the yard to put through it when i finished up and never thought of it after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

if you had a neighbour that’s used to spreading lots of slurry that you could ask to throw their eye over it I’m sure they would diagnose it fairly lively.

• Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Aravo

And even better if they have the same make as your tanker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

All those gate valves are a pain as they were, I see a lot of replacement ones turned 90 degrees, So at least when they wear, Gravity wont be working against you to close the valve.

As for the second issue, The ball in the trap is the issue, Tanker i used to use was a disaster if you moved pump lever over to the other side without letting the pressure off first, So when you're going from vacuum to pump, move it to the center for a second first. If it does get stuck on you, change direction, run the pump for a second and it'll blow the ball back down.

• Advertisement

Knowing my luck if i turned it 90 degrees, it would surely still manage to open when i'm travelling down the road 🙈

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

That's a good point, I never thought of that. You could drill the shaft of the sluice valve to take a pin or clip

Advertisement