Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slates falling off roof

Options
  • 10-04-2024 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

We had our roof re-slated just under 4 years ago with natural effect fibre slates. The other night I heard a scraping noise on the roof. Turns out it was a piece of a slate (about a third of a slate) neatly cut with one hole visible at the bottom. It landed in the gutter at the back of the house. I can see that it came from under the lead flashing under the chimney. It seems to me it was never nailed at the top or clipped at the bottom. I think the roofer must have just shoved it up under the flashing.

Just now I noticed another slate on the footpath in front of the house. We live on a main street (two storey house) and I don't want to be responsible for anyone getting crowned by a falling slate. Again, today's slate piece (with 3 intact holes on it) came from under the lead chimney flashing.

My question is….is there ever a situation where a builder is justified in not using slate nails on top and copper crampions on the bottom of each slate (or where he uses part of a slate)?

It's a bit concerning that bits of slates are coming off after less than 4 years.

Thanks.

Advertisement