Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FOI - Non resident

• 11-04-2024 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

Can a non-resident Irish citizen submit an FOI here? It's for blacked out paragraphs on a planning objection.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,730 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Content redacted in a planning objection is not going to be available under FOI

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,768 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Anything revealed under the FoI legislation can end up in the public domain — there's no basis for an FoI disclosure to someone on the basis that "this goes no further". Hence, there aren't special categories of applicant with special rights under the FoI legislation because they have a special interest in the matter being enquired about. You apply as a member of the public, and the exemptions that allow them to refuse disclosure are all framed on the basis that disclosure would be to a member of the public, who willl be free to share any disclosure with any other member of the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I've never made a planning application myself but my brother recently got an objection and two entire paragraphs are blacked out. I can understand sections being blacked out for the public website but is it the case that he's not allowed to see the original objection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭brian_t

Did he go into the Planning Office and view the hard copy of his planning application file.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,768 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't know what the practice about this is, but my first step would be to ask the department that supplied the copy of the objection to him what kind of material has been withheld, and why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sometimes, people make comments in planning observations that have no relevance to the making of a planning decision. That is likely why some sections were redacted.

Personal details, whether contact details or (say) medical history are also likely to be redacted in the electronic copies online, but not necessarily to the paper copies at the public desk in the council offices or the planner's copy of the original documents.

Advertisement