Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job offer

Options
  • 11-04-2024 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

This might be more suitable in Work and Jobs but anyway.

I'm in my current position the last 5 years, and with the company 7 years. I started from the bottom and worked my way up with two promotions. I've an OK salary and benefits but in the last 12 months or so I'm starting to resent the company, management, etc.

I've brought multiple ideas and initiatives to management but none is taken on board. I work in a medium size team but find it's always me putting my hand up for extra work, over time, less desirable projects, etc. I enjoy the work itself, always something different, always something new to learn, and while it's probably a way off, there is potential to move up again.

Anyway, all that being said I started applying for new jobs in the last couple of months and after a long interview process I've received an offer. It's about a 40% increase in salary, better benifits, similar work, same hybrid model, etc. but I've a fear of accepting.

Imposter syndrome being one issue, I'll get a few months into this new job and then fail probation and end up with no job at all. My other half works now on a good salary but we're hoping she will job share soon so I need to be bringing money in.

The other fear is I'll hate it, but obviously there's no way to know that beforehand...

Fear of the unknown I suppose. I'm in a bit of a rut but afraid to get myself out of it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

If you dont take it, you will most likely regret it and your current job even more in a few months time.

You seem to have checked out of the current job anyway.

Just make sure you leave on good terms with everyone as you never know what might happen down the line.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

40% pay rise is unreal! I think everyone feels a bit like you do at this stage of the process. If you know the job, can do the work, you'd be mad not to take it. Do you know anything about the new company and what they're like to work for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 newjoboffer

Thanks. Yes, I think I'll regret it if I don't accept and most likely my work will deteriorate, but I definitely haven't checked out yet. I'm working as hard as before, but my attitude to the work is changing I suppose.

I'm on very good terms with everyone at the company, and I'd do my best to keep it that way.

Yeah, putting the extra, or as much as possible by in the short term to build a larger buffer makes sense.

I just worked it out at 36%, but yeah, it would be huge for me.

I've only known my current company in the career I'm in now, and before that I was with the same company for about 7 years in another industry. As I said, probably just a fear of change.

Yeah, as above I worked it out to 36%, an amazing offer.

I've been researching the company, checking articles, checking Glassdoor reviews, and I've spoken to one person who worked there but has since left. It's mostly good/very good to be honest, though they did have layoffs in the last 6 months.

That's definitely on my mind too. They tell me that's finished but they're obviously not going to tell me otherwise...

Thanks for all the replies so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Unless there was strong upward opportunity at current job, I'd take the offer.

Did you have much experience outside of the current job? Is there a chance you're scared of movement extra because you didn't experience it?

40% increase is a lot. It clearly shows the new place values you, and in turn that normally translates to valuing your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

OP:

You can stick at the current job and accept your lot and be happy with it. You will however be forever wondering "what if…"

If you stick with it you can expect a 3% up to a max 10% increase per year, if that.

Many years ago I was offered a 65% increase in salary to move to another company. I did consider all sorts of things, including the other "what if's" of whether it was right for me, If I would fit in, if it would be beyond my capabilities and how I would integrate etc.

I did it and never looked back. There are no jobs for life any longer. The only way to make a big improvement is to consider other roles/ different companies that value you more and to move on (if it suits).

If you feel relatively comfortable with moving to the new company, then accept the offer and tender your resignation. If your current company feels that they value you that much and can counter with another offer then you know where you stand.

If you almost double your current salary then you have a new starting point to negotiate at a later stage for a future/next job.

Also consider other benefits, such as health, pension contributions, car allowances, mileage etc. If applicable, it all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭wandererz

If one assumes that one is on (for example) €60K at the moment with a 5% annual increase, that will amount to €76,576 annually (in 5 years i.e from 2029).

€60K +40% = €84,000 NOW!!

Plus an annual 5% every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭JimboJones99

I've recently moved jobs and left a company I worked with for over 10 years. I enjoyed working with the Company but felt in a bit of a rut. I was incredibly nervous putting myself out there and certainly had a bit of impostor syndrome.

Absolutely the right decision though and probably should have done it 5 years earlier. Not that the company I am now working for is any more enjoyable or nicer than my previous one but I needed the challenge. Change can be good and if I need to move on again at least I have the confidence/experience of putting myself out there again.

Best of luck and I hope it works out for you not matter what decision you come to

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

I made this change a few years ago, I've now realised loads of people done really know what their job is, everyone is just trying to get by. There'll be people there to help you, be nice and people will help you in the new job. 40% increase is remarkable, it'd probably take 15 years to get near that in your current job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭redunited

Only you can decide for yourself, but I would suggest you ask yourself one question.

Are you happy in your current position?

In my experience, rarely is the grass greener on the other side, I have made the mistake of following money or better employment conditions only to find I hated the new job and company.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

40% increase is well worth any risk . just think if the new company offering that , even if it goes bad which is v unlikely - it means that you have skills others are willing to pay good money for. so a 3rd company will be easy to find.

Don't really worry about probation - most people are still finding their feet after 6months in a new org - probabtion only fails if you clearly suck . And given their offer to you - its unlikely cos they like what they see.

You'll kick yourself if you don't take it .

And whatever you do - don't accept a counter offer by your current employer - they'd years to pay/treat you properly and didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭foxsake

I cannot agree with this advice.

I've only ever gotten decent pay rises by moving and I have definitely landed in better places than I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

2 and a half years ago I was in a job, I was happy with the company and the pay was decent, but it wasn't what I felt I was worth. The job was a 15-min drive away and I live in the rurally - there are very few jobs locally in my field at my level. I was approached by an agency and I told them I wasn't looking - they asked what it would take for me to look. I proposed a serious pay raise and was told it was possible.

The job was an hour commute with remote options (I didn't have this in my current role). I told my wife and she was very nervous as if it didn't work out, I would be back to commuting to Dublin which is something neither of us wanted. I did an interview and I got a good feeling about the place. I knew I could bring a lot to the table but I also knew that with the salary that was on offer, I would have to deliver. I didn't study my particular field, I landed in it and had a flair for it so I went about learning my craft in my own time… but I have no actual qualification. I've never hidden this and have always been honest, but I have the results to back me up so it's never seen as an issue (I actually think a lot of my success is down to the fact that I don't do things by the playbook). I did the second interview and I knew I had smashed it. I got a call about 15 mins after to offer me the job and I decided the money was worth the risk.

I'm now firmly in the job and it was the best decision ever. I am truly valued and have a boss that lets me shine. His view is that I am being paid the big bucks so he is not there to interfere, he is there to let me do my thing and I have backed this up with fantastic results. I had a bit of imposter syndrome but I felt that I had demonstrated that I was more than capable in the interview - I was told later that I got the job ahead of some really big hitters in my field, and that I absolutely blew them away with my research and presentation.

My advice… trust your gut and if you have been offered the job, you have shown them enough that they know you're the right person. If it doesn't work out, so be it. I live by the mantra of 'regret what you didn't, not what you did.' If you really feel like an imposter, analyse your results and perhaps see a life coach. Believe in yourself because if you can't, then it's very hard to make other people believe in you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Put on your big boy pants and change jobs

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

You have to take it, you will regret if you do not.. Whose to say even if you dont like this job you wont get another anyway… Loads of jobs out their, companies are finding it very difficult to fill roles.. 40%, better benefits for the same role - its a no brainer..

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭well24

Take Glassdoor with a pinch of salt.. they are notorious for taking down bad reviews.. Companies can complain to them (or even pay them) to remove bad reviews, I have experienced exactly this!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,804 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I was in a similar situation. I had worked for the same company for over 12 years. I had a chance a few years back to move, but the familiarity of where I was and the fear of the unknown made me stay put. I felt that because the way we worked in the company I was with was sort of tailored to that company, I would struggle to work elsewhere. We used a lot of custom tools rather than industry standards, so that always held me back too.

In 2022 the decision was taken away from me in that my old company ran into severe financial troubles and I was cut down on hours and ultimately ended up handing in my notice. A few months later I got a great job, I'm earning far more now than I was (36% rise I think, plus benefits) and I realise that I'm actually good at the type of job that I do. Having always worked in 1 company, using your skills in a 2nd company is great validation on that.

Go for it I say, you'll never look back.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭mikep

OP. A 40% increase is amazing and hard to turn down.

As others have said and I agree that you seem to be done with the current job.

Management seems to be the problem there and is unlikely to change.

One question I have is if your current employer matched the new employers salary would you stay considering the dissatisfaction you have there?

If it was me...I'd go... salary aside, you aren't happy there and life is too short..

Best of luck! You are in a lovely position....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

OP I was in a similar situation to you, at a company a long time, had started relatively low but been promoted a few times, had even turned down new companies because I liked it there until I didn't.

I moved for a similar increase in salary into a new industry and was worried I wouldn't be fit for it, didn't know the industry, the products, the competitors etc but its been fine. Understanding my role and having the eagerness to work on what I don't know had made up for any lack of knowledge I have or had.

Go for it, 40% increase in salary is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Sometimes I've had to go backwards to go forwards. You'll never grow unless you move out of your comfort zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Hooked

Life is short.

You're overthinking it. Take the job and leave on good terms. If and when your current job tries to persuade you to stay…. you can play the money card and see how far towards that 36% they'll come. And then IF they do - you'll still be reluctant to stay - as you'll wonder why it took the the threat of leaving to get a decent raise out of them.

There are a LOT of imposters in jobs - that are getting by. You ain't one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

If you don't try, you'll never know. Money aside, it's good for your personal growth and development. If you hate it, so be it - there's plenty of people that have made a move and it didn't work out so you just move onto the next chapter.

Also, if you're looking at other jobs it seems you already know that its time to move so go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Doing extra work and taking on extra responsibility is how you got promoted twice. There is recognition there even if it's hard to spot. If your not putting yourself forward constantly you will be passed over and eventually you will be the easy target if downsizing comes along.

If you don't like your current jobs culture follow through and move on. You seem to have the right approach and experience to do well, but understand that overtime and extra responsibility will be the price to pay for your increased salary. It won't get easier because you changed company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

This ^^ The thing is, any job move is a risk. If you turn this job offer down out of fear, what is your next move going to be? You'll be faced with the same feelings if you continue to do interviews and get job offers. So you either accept that you're going to stay forever in your current job or you take a chance. The thing to remember is that even if you don't love the new job, you're not wedded to it. You can move on and get another job.

In one of my old jobs we let somebody go while they were still on probation. This was a person who looked great on paper and had good qualifications and experience. There were two main reasons why they were axed. The first was their attitude. The other was the number of careless mistakes they continued to make after their onboarding training had been completed. In any new job, nobody expects you to hit the ground running. You will make mistakes at the beginning - who doesn't? It's how you deal with it, how you settle in and how you get on with other people that's the important bit. From what you've told us in your description, I can see why your potential employers were impressed by you. Your attitude is good. You're proactive. You've worked your way up from the bottom, you're hard-working. Believe me, on those attributes alone you've aced this.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Back yourself, always! You're aware of the risks and that itself shows you're thinking about it maturely. Go for it.

Everyone has their own story and journey, this is your next chapter. Move forward and best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

You have spoken to 1 ex employee only?

Get out there and do some deeper networking and searching for info on the company/ your department on a local level.

No amount of money is worth the risk of landing in a dysfunctional / toxic / nepotism environment.

Ignore the multinational's image on global level. Dysfunction can exist as and be hidden locally and I have seen individuals take "dream" positions to ask some months later..…"wtf?".

Best of luck!

Advertisement