Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help identify yet another beer ad from the 90s.

• 12-04-2024 7:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭

The posts about old beer ads remind me of one that I've been trying to identify. It was for one of the American beers I'm sure, maybe Miller or Coors .

Circa 1997/98. This ad was shown on heavy rotation in the cinemas, dont recall seeing it much on tv.

Setting was a US city, pretty sure New York at nighttime. A security guard in an apartment block is watching CCTV. Hes middle aged with a moustache. He sees a houseparty in progress on CCTV screen (can't remember exactly how, maybe just sees loads of people going into an apartment).

There was this R n B type song on the soundtrack. Security guard knocks on the door of apartment. Next bit was kind of strange, door opened by this very smarmy Jerry Seinfeld lookalike with a big smug grin on his face, in fact it could even have been him, but Googling "Jerry Seinfeld beer commercial" draws a blank.

As soon as smarmy guy opens the door the music on the soundtrack stops and this solo female African American a capella vocal comes on very loudly on the soundtrack. One of those generic "ooooohhhs" that you hear in rap /r n b.

Security guard realises there's no party and is all apologetic, as he's speaking smarmy smiling guy closes the door in his face without a word.

Scene switches to inside the apartment. Smarmy guy opens closet door and the partygoers are all crammed inside. Music starts up again, partygoers whoop and cheer and smarmy guy does a theatrical bow.

In the period in question I regularly went to the cinema and this ad was shown so often that I developed an undying hatred of this ad and the way it presented smug guy as the "hero". Anyone else remember this?

Post edited by Hangdogroad on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Someone has to remember this. If you went to the cinema about 1997/98 chances are it would have been shown, or at least 18 rated movies. Presume drink ads wouldn't have been shown for 15 or under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Are you saying you remember all that detail but not the name of the beer? It's one crappy advert if the one thing it doesn't do is implant the brand in your mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,077 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The best ads always outshine the “product”, Jim.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't disagree but it's a huge fail by a marketing team if the brand gets lost in the message.

Nope, as I said it was likely Miller or Coors but I've never been able to find it online to confirm it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 DoyleLoneganYouFollow

I remember this ad. The security guard gets back to his desk. In the meantime the party upstairs turns into a bloodbath with one of the punters knifing people. A woman screams at the CCTV. He hits the alarm button but then realises he disconnected it so he could not be disturbed. He then puts his feet up on the desk and lights a Hamlet cigar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

This was one of the best beer ads ever made.

It had everything - Prosaic yet mysterious. Serious without being pretentious. A soundtrack that was perfect. An absolutely timeless ad.

I think the ad I remember was for Miller Genuine Draft and was part of a series with this one. Cant be 100% sure but I think the song here was the same one on house party ad. Also vaguely similar theme here, sneering at the jogger guy who clearly doesn't drink MGD therefore must be a loser.

Bump with bit more detail.

Security guard was white. He was wearing a uniform with a peaked cap, the type that kind of looks a bit like a police uniform that security guards seem to often wear in the States.

Someone has to remember this other than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

nah,thats no it…the smarmy guy was a take off of tony montanna asking if the gang in the closet wanted to meet his leetle frenn as he whips out his machine gun that sprays every body with beer…then the security guy lights up his hamlet cigar…

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

pps wheres my wheres my rte macaroons,kevin?

"You are him…the one they call the "Baba Yaga"…

• Advertisement
Advertisement