Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw loosing power

Options
  • 12-04-2024 7:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My chainsaw, in fairness a cheap generic one, looses power as soon as the chain touches the tree. Worked grand till last week but all of a sudden started to die.

Throttle wasn't engaging so I took the handle apart and spring had come away. Put that back in place and throttle revved again but now when I start cutting, it dies. Actually fades as if no petrol in it to a point where it stops. Mix from same can I use so thats good.

Played with high & low regulator screws and turns pretty sweet, better than it has in a while tbh, but then as above, looses power when I start.

Its a cheap saw so I dont mind trying things on it, if nothing else to learn more about the working of the saw. I will probably end up getting another one anyway. It is a beast so as a second saw would be good standby, if I can fix it. Would cost more than saw is worth to send it into "The Man"…..

Any ideas welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭redbeaard

I don't know but sounds exactly like a 30-year-old strimmer I have. Same thing where it would start up fine but as soon as it would start cutting it would lose power and cut out. Mechanic put a new carburetor in it and it was like a brand new machine. For another 2 year at least anyway, then something else went and it wasn't worth fixing anymore. The carburetor was expensive so I don't know if it was worth the initial fix tbh but I like keeping stuff alive as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭minerleague

saw of mine was doing something similar - pipe from petrol tank was split where it comes out wall of tank

Advertisement