Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seized steering in a pedal Go-kart

Options
  • 12-04-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭

Not really cycling related, but I feel like it might be close enough related that people with bike maintenance experience might be able to help. Maybe there is a more suitable forum?

I picked up a Berg "basic" off facebook market place for free this week as a project for me and my kids to restore. It's a bit rusty in spots, but the drive mechanism seems to be working and the tyres are pretty decent, so overall not in terrible shape.

But one issue I'm having before we fully start the restoration project, is the steering is completely seized and I'm looking for suggestions on how to unseize it if possible.

What is seized is the part that the wheel eventually connects too, its not a great picture, but the part marked red here

That red part is all one piece and it goes through the frame and should rotate ween working correctly. You can see at least working somewhat correctly in this YT video

What I have tried so far:

I have removed the steering linkage between the two wheels so I can focus on each wheel independently.

I have mainly been focusing on trying to get the front right moving. The Front left doesn't look as bad, but neither are moving at the moment.

I bought a can of penetrating oil from screw fix and given it a few goes of it, but still no budge yet. Maybe I just need to keep trying this. when using this is there a maximum time I should be leaving this? Like is it a waste of time to leave it on overnight?

I've seen some mention of using a heat to heat it up, I have tried a heat gun, but I think it might be a bit slow as it seems to transfer the heat to the other parts as well (so are both expanding at that point?). Do I need to use a torch of some kind? The only one I might have is one for burning off weeds, so possibly not suitable!

I have the wheel off the front right, I have a steel handled rake and trying to use that as extra leverage when attached the axle, I seem to be impacting the frame of the kart more than the part im trying to budge! I think if I was going down the brute force route I would have to built a frame or something to spread the load on the kart.

So any suggestions on what to try or do I just keep trying what I have been doing?

In part one of the above video, the guy soaks the part in coke, is this worth doing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Hang a weight off of the wheel and persist with the penetrating fluid.

Leverage is useful when trying to break parts free but I'd imagine too much leverage will bust the welds on that.

I'd say it need to be constantly packed with grease to keep moisture out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭ted1

it might be bent internally. Is just keep

Trying to wiggle it feee. Maybe even a few taps with a mallet to break off any rust etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Coke is acidic so that'll be effective on the rust. Vinegar is probably better I'd guess. Don't be shy though - soak it, and keep it soaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,961 ✭✭✭cletus

As said above, don't be afraid of using the penetrating spray. Lorry it on, leaving it overnight.

When trying to break free two parts corroded together, short sharp blows will work better than long slow pulling or pushing, and is less likely to damage the piece.

Get a rubber mallet (or if you have a copper faced hammer, all the better), take any slack out of the movement, and start tapping it. Not too gentle, you want it to move, but don't hit it like you're breaking it for scrap either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Get some arctic Hayes crack it freeze spray or similar) or plus gas. They're a few tiers above in the penetrant spray stakes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,098 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Thank you for all the suggestions so far! Have been lashing on the penetrating oil , and giving it a few bangs with a rubber mallet, still with no luck.

Am busy for the next couple of days so decided I'd try a vinegar soak , I'll report back how it goes!

Was able to cut to the top of an empty 5l jug and it basically fit perfectly. It's fully submerged even if it doesn't look like it in the picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

I wouldn't bother with coke/vinegar, too weak to do much.

I had similar and it took a week of regular plus gas applications to free up.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Facing the exact same problem with a go-kart I had as a child and am restoring for the young fella now. Got one side free with few taps of a hammer and the other side will move with a belt of the hammer but still isn't free. Did you get yours to free up in the end and if so, how did you do it. I tried a blowtorch aswell but to no avail.

No I haven't really made decent progress yet. I got one side to move a small bit with the rubber hammer, but there is a bit of a crack in the weld, so I probably went a bit hard! It looks like it would be an easy enough fix (if I could weld 😅)

One in better shape came up on adverts for €40 so I bought that.

Will work away on the other one at some stage in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Hey Lads picked an old berg last night off adverts

Its fairly stiff when pedalling

I had a quick look this morning and as suspected the hub unit looks a little worse for wear and mis aligned so probably a replacement required here.

My question is when pedals are moved only one wheel is spinning

Is this correct or should two wheels be moving?

Also anyone know a supplier of parts for berg karts here in Ireland?

• Advertisement

On a berg buddy at least only one wheel is "powered" as well.

I had to re-seat the chain on the buddy and I found I was able to line the chains up a bit by adjusting the hub. On the buddy the hub where it attached to the rest of the cart (at the two nuts top and bottom of the hub in your picture ) could be repositioned when nuts were loosened. Hopefully I'm making sense here!

I've seen parts online but they are really expensive, like definitely as cheap or cheaper to just try buy another one on adverts/Facebook marketplace.

Since my original post I've sort of bought/aquired 5 of them.… But I do have two functional berg buddy's and one functional full size one. Total outlay has been about €75 on buying the karts. It does seem like there was better value in them a few months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Dave_D_Rave

Yes makes perfect sense cheers for that I can see a bit of misalignment on the hub so I will try adjusting to see if the old one can be brought back to life.

Away for a couple of days now so will give a go when back.

The parts are saucy online allrite so second hand after market might be the best approach 👍.

Advertisement