Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biden v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

• Registered Users Posts: 19,416 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Not at all. Even less than shooting the randomer of 5th Avenue.

The public want to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,635 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's a fair point. Seen Newsom described as very "Californian" in appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭threeball

Rather then getting into the Biden vs Trump debate the Democrats really need to emphasis how dangerous a Trump administration would be. Use the SCOTUS decision during the week to show just how devastating decisions like these from a Trump led civil service would be for the whole of America. Joe McCarthy had America in convulsions with his reds under the bed rhetoric. In this instance the US will have a red, not only in the bed but one that can literally rape them with impunity.

If Whitmer delivers MI, WI and PA (where she would have structural advantages), that's it - election won.

(Obviously I am massively oversimplifying, but you get the idea)

• Advertisement

They can't do that while Biden is still the candidate. Every time they try to change the narrative, it will come straight back to Biden and his frailty.

That is the overarching narrative and will be until he withdraws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Latest odds

Trump 4/7

Harris 5/1

Biden 6/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭ronjo

Yeah, a new candidate with have sooooo much material to hammer Trump with while pointing out he would be the oldest ever President.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Kennedy would be a better outsider bet than Harris, why the Dems keep blocking him isn't really democratic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

She's a women, which ticks multiple boxes. She could articulate the abortion fight better than the alternatives, given she's spearheaded securing abortion rights in Michigan. She took a strong stance on COVID, where she faced a plot to abduct her, which puts her in stark relief to Trump's handling of the pandemic. Newsom comes across as too slick to me. Guy has been preparing to run for President for seemingly his entire life, and his tenure as CA Governor has been mired in controversies. Harris is just crap.

• Advertisement

well the fact he is on the record saying part of his brain was eaten by worms might be part of the reason

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The way for Trump to capitalise in my view is keep doing what he did at the last televised debate - keep the stupid “rants” to a minimum - fine about telling all the lies and mistruths about the Democrats and what they achieved- that’s politics - but if he does that he may convince some Democrat voters to vote for him considering a lot are wavering about Biden now

It would be interesting to see which of them would poll better with Independants and Repubs who detest Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It's sort of faint praise by the House Democrat who is proposing Harris:

"The vice president is the obvious choice. She’s sitting right there. She’s already been in the White House. And has the name recognition. And has been on the trail … and the optics of pushing aside a Black woman … it’s not good"

In my memory, Harris has been one of the least visible vice-Presidents ever. She has name recognition but not very much. It's like she never existed. She doesn't seem to play much of a role either domestically or internationally.

Other vice-Presidents were more active, e.g. the likes of Mike Pence, Biden himself, Dick Cheney, Al Gore etc.

To be honest the only thing I really know about Pence is that MAGA built a gallows for him on Jan 6th

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah all the hypotethical polling disappears the second you have an actual new candidate - well-known or otherwise. It may seem like a tough ask to raise someone's profile in four months - and it is - but remember their profile goes stratospheric in an instant if they get the nom. And if Biden dropped out, the conversation will have moved on in the week, and then you have all the other election stuff hogging attention for several months. All polling out there suggests Biden and Trump are generally unpopular outside of their respective bases and their electoral rematch unwanted by a notable chunk of the US population, so that dynamic is shaken up as soon as you have another name on the ticket.

I don't think switching candidates is a guarantee of victory for the Dems - they've done most of the digging themselves (with the occassional peripheral assistance of partisan hacks in the Supreme Court), and it's their hole to get out of. I also think Harris is probably a risky play too, of the realistic options out there. But regardless of how things go, they have to try, because things sure as hell aren't improving if Biden stays on the ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As a complete idiot in relation to the machinations of all this, my one thought is that to me, Biden, his wife and supporters are the most unpatriotic bunch of people I have ever come across.

For the sake of their and Biden's egos, they are prepared to let Trump win. Cannot believe it, and yet they will sing God Bless America every morning and fly their flag outside on their porches with pride. Huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Maybe Harris and Biden could switch roles ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Beyond the insane arrogance and egotism that will have consequences on a global scale, what I don't get about American politicians (and others in power like some of the Supreme Court justices) is the unwillingness to just bloody retire in peace. Retirement is great! You get to spend time with your family & friends and appreciate a slowed down pace of life. But the thirst for power drives so many of these major US figures to die or rapidly decline in office. RBG and Dianne Feinstein in the former case, the likes of Biden and Mitch McConnell in the latter. This refusal to just bow out gracefully has had some catastrophic consequences (e.g. in RBG's case).

That was another feature of the debate. Trump seemed to get under Biden's skin more than vice-versa. If there is another debate between these two, the pressure is on the incumbent more than the challenger.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness to RBG, she knew full well that Trump would just user her departure to further corrupt the court.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭McFly85

Doesn’t make much sense to me to change for Harris - I mean, if Biden becomes unable to do the job then Harris is in anyway, and is there really a significant amount of people who would vote for Harris ahead of Trump but Trump ahead of Biden?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Quango Unchained

"with just 5 months to go"

Jesus. A week is a long time in politics (as the last week has shown).

If a clearly unfit leader can't be changed with 120+ days to go until an election, then the system is broken.

Truss was in power for almost one third of that time!

If some relatively unknown does replace Biden as candidate, within a few days, (s)he will be one of the most famous people in the world. Name recognition doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He's an anti vaccine loon, it's preferable that the Democrats don't develop their own kind of Trump and that's what Kennedy would be. His own family won't even back him and for good reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,451 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Everyone expected Truman to lose

Everyone expected Trump to lose

Everyone expecting Biden to lose

I didn’t hear no bell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I think Jimmy Carter would be a better choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 28,170 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

At least he can get a coherent sentence out, it's a lot more than can be said for Biden and Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,200 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Schrodingers Candidate, dont like joe Vote Kamala , dont like Kamala Vote Joe. Once he isnt on a machine he is your boy, Joe can be switched out for Kamala later (thats the plan)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Is that a Rocky reference? The man was brain damaged in that movie. Admittedly it was glossed over in the sequel.

Advertisement