Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

far more likely than Biden on my opinion.

That's a pig in a poke though.

Think about it logically, far too many unprecedented glass ceilings need to be broken for that happen. In normal times it would be an outside chance, add in the fact the Democratic Party are in full on free fall crisis. The odds get longer and longer.

If the Democrats had a credible VP who had an actual chance of winning, Biden would already be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Electoral demographics are valid discussion but Biden is a frail weak old man that has to be lead around a restaurant, struggles to handle stairs and losses his train of thought during softball interviews. Biden is fundamentally a broken candidate.

Obama was elected and was black. Hillary would have most likely been elected if it wasn’t for Comey/fbi investigation. Colour and gender aren’t some insurmountable factors.

Barrack was a man and a great orator.

Hilary was white and still lost.

It's not just America it is the world over who do not elect women to the highest positions, we are no different here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fair enough, you have your opinion and I have mine. If Harris is the dems nominee we will see how she does.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No, the alternatives are not great and they didn't have a primary process to hone themselves or for a surprisingly good candidate to emerge so it's not ideal.

I don't think it is the fault of "The Dems" that they are in this mess, but by god they are handling it poorly. Not a single Republican made even a murmur about Trump dropping out after his conviction instead they went on the attack. Hell they managed to attack Biden over Hunter despite the glaring hypocrisy but they don't care. This "I think he should drop out but I'll support him if he doesn't" nonsense, and the slow dripping of the announcements from people about it is so bloody shoddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Biden's race ended with his scoring an own goal at the CNN debate. There are no swing voters casting votes for him, they will either stay home or cast their votes elsewhere like Kennedy or Stein (assuming she gets selected) and even Trump. Even if Biden steps down and Harris is given top billing, she is widely regarded as nothing more more than a diversity hire. Trump does not poll well with women so aside from the race card, the only issue she can play is abortion, given the polling, that is not enough to switch the election in states that restrict the practice, unless as you say Trump/Vance score a series of own goals. There are always economic or foreign surprises (war) between now and then as well, these don't necessarily play into the current regimes hands.

The DNC back office calculations will be more focused on how to prevent damage down ballot in the congress and senate elections.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

BBC put it well

“The only way Biden could have performed worse in debate is if he collapsed on stage”

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bad timing… if he'd collapsed on stage and then tested positive for covid he'd have gotten more sympathy votes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,984 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

I agree with you on Kamala under normal circumstances but these aren't normal circumstances

I've criticised her in the past, but Biden is declining so fast, and Trump is catching so much luck, they have to take the risk

Yes to stupid middle American swing voters a tall white presidential looking man like Newsome with a full head of hair would probably be better, but I'm not sure he's even on board.

She'd take the small usual negative hit on being a "woman of colour", and "who?" among swing voters but on the flipside she'd could entice more women to vote, the young, both (Taylor Swift can potentially mobilise millions).

Most crucially she'd bring energy and hope to the Dem campaign instead of a walking coffin. Sorry to say but that's the most critical element.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

On Trump's chances, people are almost forgetting just how hated the guy is outside his own base. Nobody can say with any certainty that he will be the next President. He is seen as extremely divisive, toxic even, and is not the type of candidate who will pull in floating voters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭accensi0n

If Biden was being pushed around in a wheelchair, puking on himself and pi55ing his pants, why would that be any reason to flip and vote for Trump?..

Boggles the mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Biden STILL wouldn't be a racist, rapist convicted criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,062 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I don't what World you have been living in for the last 20 even the last 60 years. The British have had a Women at least 3 times over the last 60 years as there Prime Minister, Germany had Angela Merkel as there Prime Minister so have other countries in Europe too and we have had two female Presidents as well as the IMF which has a Female president.

Also Ursela Vonderline as EU Commision President.

Even New Zealand had a Female head of state. It's really only America some third world countries and Middle East Countries that have not had Women as there heads of state.

Post edited by AMKC on

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

Biden has said LOADS of racist stuff

Has Trump?

Trump has been accused of sexual assault.

So has Biden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Trump has been saying racist stuff for decades.... Trump was found liable for rape in a civil court, Biden has not. Trump has received numerous convictions for fraudulent activities. Has Biden? Basically one is categorically a convicted felon. The other is Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭thatsdaft

I was in southern US for last bit

And these things that Trump done that would revolt normal people in normal countries wouldn’t even cause likes of Floridians I met to bat an eyelash

There is a large amount of Americans who hate America and will vote for Trump even if he shoots someone in broad daylight on 5th Avenue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Sounds a lot to me like you're downplaying a lot to me. Correction, he was found liable for sexual assault however it constitutes rape in multiple jurisdictions including Ireland. (It doesn't somehow make it less bad btw) Biden equally has faced no charges for fraud, let alone a conviction. So each time you try this, Trump comes across awfully as a human being.

So British and German Conservatives. The irony. So that is 3.

The lettuce doesn't count.

Right now we have off the top of my head, Italy. The Finnish one was hounded and derided for being a woman, she danced. Oh the humanity. Similar with Jacinta.

I could look up the stats for you, but I don't think I need to, do I?

I don't think it is the fault of "The Dems" that they are in this mess

It most certainly is and continues to be a dumpster fire of their own making.

The opportunity was there not just to take the 3 houses but to spilt the Republican party into 2.

It would have been the death knell for conservatism in the US once and for all as a coherent voice.

I mean that they had no real control over Biden running. Once that occurred they have certainly completely screwed up everything else.

Though I think you massively overestimate the chances to do something on the scale you suggest. I think the best Dem candidate in the world would be getting a relatively modest EC victory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Trump is a racist.

This is hateful racist vomit in action, echoing the Nazis too.

Immigrants are poisoning the blood of the nation.

I've posted this already, but when the same just asking questions canard about "what racist things has Trump" done is rolled out…

And this is not from ancient history, this is not taken out of context, this is Trump being racist to get racist votes at a campaign event for his current campaign.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Of course its their fault.

They haven't a set of bollox between them.

They should be out there hanging Trump and Vance and Johnson and de Santis and all the rest for their policies and they simply aren't.

'They go low, we go high' is an absolute crock of shyt, and the anthem of a loser.

As soon as Biden is stood down, they need to be out there skewering Vance for his neo-monarchical sewage and turning a heat lamp on Trump and everyone around him.

Its a simple equation for middle America; do they wish to lose the United States as they have known it for a Century, or do they wish to continue to make it better, with all the issues that a true societal freedom can bring.

Cos Trump-Vance means nothing less than the former.

Of course they had control. Biden isn't Benjamin Button, although he looks like him at the moment.

He should have ran as one term president with the sole purpose of beating Trump, with the next one platformed and groomed for the past 4 years. That is just marketing, coherent medium term strategy.

Even this week they had weathered the storm, Biden is not effecting down stream elections and Trump got no significant bounce from the debate or the attempt on his life.

Then Schiff comes out with a hand grenade before anyone could actually take a breath.

It's a dumpster fire of epic proportions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Lol.

Is Trump having to pay out nearly a hundred million dollars because he was accused of sexual assault, or because a judge and jury found him guilty?

Get out of here defending a sexual assaulter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

People in two minds would almost certainly abstain in that case. They're still not going to vote for an obvious racist, misogynist, homophobe, sexual offender etc like Trump if their earlier inclination was to vote for Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,967 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The hell is happening to Matt Gaetz he surgically injected himself with a Snapchat filter?

https://www.mediaite.com/news/everyone-made-jokes-at-the-expense-of-matt-gaetzs-apparently-overly-botoxed-face-here-are-some-of-the-best/

Like is he trying to make sure past victims can’t identify him anymore? Something is not mentally right there - Michael Jackson vibes (THOSE Michael Jackson vibes)

They can't stop him running!

Is Biden being selfish and egotistical? Sure, but find me a president ever who wasn't.

You think no one suggested to Biden beforehand that he not run again? I'm sure it was brought up and discussed in depth but there is nothing they could do about it when he decided to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Redliketoast

A couple of the same gender having sex is a crime in other countries. Does that mean we should claim it to be one here?

You are correct on Biden. He hasnt been convicted for fraud charges. Nor has Trump. But you claimed he has multiple convictions of it.

I am not saying Trump is a good Human. I am saying that a certain section here are exaggerating everything for some weird reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭McFly85

He was accused by one staffer with no evidence who later defected to Russia.

And if we’re going to think of the CHILDREN, there are much stronger indications that his opponent has assaulted CHILDREN on Epsteins Island.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,967 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You are correct on Biden. He hasnt been convicted for fraud charges. Nor has Trump. But you claimed he has multiple convictions of it.

34 counts actually.

It’s clear who you’re in the tank for 🤠

Advertisement