Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The ould Hulkster's acuity should be called into question too.

Was a time he'd rip that shirt clean off, took him two yanks at it last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,015 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Once again mocking this argument that nobody made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the Democrats' knack of screwing up their electoral chances is anything to go by, they're definitely going to pick Harris. They seem so set on staid corporate centrism that they're determined to stick with that even if it means handing the keys of the White House to Donald Trump. They seem totally averse to radical ideas or personalities heading up the party. I hear faint appeals to unity and stability as a reason for this but let's be honest - there is no hope for unity in the short term. Trump has convinced his followers that the Democratic party is a nest of Communists anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,568 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Its interesting that the Dems are front running a coup against Biden, cancelling democracy sounds about right for Biden

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭thatsdaft

Yeh that’s an even worse outcome than Biden not stepping down 😕

He could maybe step down from presidency too and in process Give Harris a chance to be president for few months hence

1. satisfying the black caucus who came out in her support
    2. Satisfying all those who wanted a woman president
    3. Enrage Trump for months
    4. Allow her spend the Biden war cheat on another candidates ads
    5. Make all the Trump 47 merchandise obsolete

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There was a journalist on NPR talking about the prospects of Biden stepping aside. Basically said that he won't, but if he does they better not pass up Harris, because she's a black woman. No thought as to whether she's actually an appealing candidate in her own right.

It's incredible how there can be poll after poll showing that the majority of Americans support universal healthcare, affordable education, environmentalism, taxing the wealthy etc, yet the Democrats consistently **** on any candidate who pushes those ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,132 ✭✭✭✭briany

They would do well not to choose Harris on the basis of identity because while that might satisfy some voters, I think that a much larger proportion of voters don't really care and I think that because this idea of being the first woman president was a big part of Hillary's platform but it was evidently superseded by her innate unlikeability and lack of message.

Is there anyone in that party with charisma and a message?

I think latest thinking is when not if Biden steps aside.
    I can see a lot of infighting if Harris is made presidential nominee and equally if she’s pushed back to VP role. Whatever their in-house fights they better do it as quietly and as quickly as they can so that they can look like a party united behind their chosen candidate. The election is still there to win for the Democrats if Trump keeps up the performances he did last night- but it’s not at all a forgone conclusion and Democrats could well feic it up

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

They would have to have an open vote at the convention. I don't know why everyone is so stressed about it, it's the way Presidential candidates were chosen for literal centuries, the country didn't collapse because of it. All the hand wringing about money and ballots etc is just an excuse. There's plenty of time to run a campaign, especially as Trump is an easy target, he does half the work for you.

He certainly is right now- let’s hope he doesn’t turn “nice” - if he actually started to do what he said he’d do which is reconcile the whole nation or some bollox like that then yes I would be worried

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

very presidential presentation

Use your mighty arms to slay the fierce enemy that is selfish desire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

media rumor mill will continue but even if he does indicate a step down I think he will still accept the nomination at convention because of the campaign finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

I hope she runs, she alone would put an end to DEI hires worldwide, you think the Director of the Secret Service is a bumbling moran wait until the public get to see what Harris is capable of!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

I've no interest in watching more than 30 seconds of that but it is refreshing to watch someone form and express coherent thoughts.

I was watching Derry Girls last night and the episode with Bill Clinton came on, and it was comical thinking of either Biden now or Trump standing there and giving any sort of speech in Derry without it being a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

comical thinking of either Biden now or Trump standing there and giving any sort of speech in Derry without it being a mess.

I thought Biden's Ireland visit was pretty well received?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,314 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Biden doesn't think Kamala can win. Amongst democrats and Indos who lean Democrats overwhelmingly would prefer Biden over Harris as their nominee.

It's one of the reasons he gives for running (privately apparently).

She really did kind of disappear into the furniture the past 3 odd years.

Another daft decision that has come back to bite them.

Kamala may have to exit stage left as well.

Would be absolutely amazing if she ran and won, but I think it could be a glass ceiling too far at this stage.

She is certainly auditioning, she has turned back into something resembling what got her the VP pick in the 1st place the past couple of days.

Maybe the Covid thing is a ploy to get her out in front and test the waters for a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,673 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

And God only knows what an open Democratic convention would throw up, Bernie Sanders or something even crazier. Yep I can see why Biden might still genuinely believe he is the Dems' best bet, even after everything…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Biden himself had a very sheltered 4 years, he was hidden too. What kind of administration expects to be relected if both President and Vice President are kept as far away from the public as possible…I can understand why, Biden gets a fairly negative reception from ordinary people when he does make the rare trip outside the bubble they kept him in!!

This mess should have been sorted at least a year ago…

Something crazy like a politician who platforms for policies supported by an overwhelming majority of Americans, across the political spectrum? Man, how terrible would that be 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I saw someone say that his VP pick, Vance, is not there for the election, but for what comes after it.

We could be looking at a Republican White House, Senate, House and Supreme Court after his election. Anyone who says there is nothing to worry about with respect to democracy hasn't been paying attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,813 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The significant thing about Jan 6th was the attempts by Trump and his inner circle to put pressure on Mike Pence to accept alternate slates of electors, an act in direct contravention of the constitution.

All the **** that went on (literally) with the gravy seal cosplayers was criminal, illegal and also a threat to democracy. But all those boyos got their wings clipped pretty conclusively. The real conspirators, much less so.

And that is why the US is still in this mess.

doesnt matter Trump would still have left office at the time, its only in the Dem fever dream that he wouldnt have, anyway makes for a great drama, the comeback kid is a much better story

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

He made every effort to avoid leaving office. Even after leaving office, he continued to push election rigging conspiracy theories. So ya, it's more checks and balances prevented it rather than Trump being accepting of his fate.

You would think that they would have celebrated that achievement and left the stage patting each other on the back for a job well done.

It’s clear that regardless of whatever great speech Biden might make in tje next week, people are only going to focus on his ability to govern and hold office - policies, jobs, peoples welfare- none of those issues and solutions will be “heard” by his intended audience.

Personally I think he’ll be gone soon from the race -
    II think Harris is a divisive candidate for president at this time - BUT- if appointed the new candidate now and unopposed, she’d have the maximum time possible to create a positive media image - given the right speeches I think she could do it - Clinton didn’t hold the female vote - I think she’s a much better chance - I mean hell, if you’ve Trump on one side, in one sense what better candidate to counteract him- I know people will say some bland white male would be better but that’s not going to mobilise voters - especially ethnic minorities which the the Democrats massively need to win this race.

It’s a gamble but the odds are poor right now anyway - but they’ve got a massively small window of opportunity right now - if they feic that up it’s game over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,341 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Harris has more chance of increasing her popularity than Biden does between now and the election… And she might help with down ballot votes.

The internal polling data would have to be very bad for Harris for it to be otherwise.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,428 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd sooner vote for Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Camacho than Donald Trump.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement