Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

?????? v Trump (and one or two others) The US Presidential election 2024. Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Or just deciding that he's not up to another four years. Historically speaking, his presidency is likely to be viewed positively... Can't really say the same for Trump's first term...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Tim Apple?

Calling his wife Mercedes?

Saying that Nikki Haley should call in the national guard during Jan 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 36,347 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Fair play to Biden for eventually making the right decision, it was completely untenable to continue.

The trenchant defense of his cognitive competence on here from @Overheal, @everlast75 et al was increasingly divorced from reality and difficult to read.

Thankfully we can now get back to all the ways Trump is dangerous for democracy. He now becomes the oldest nominee ever, and the script can be flipped to his cognitive issues, rambling speeches and fundamental unsuitability to be leader of the Free world. Let’s goooo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Fair play for “listening” to him -it’s more than even his own followers probably do

• Registered Users Posts: 86,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I say Harris taking over as the running candidate for the Dems is very and probably likely

DNC executive committee member Alan Clendenin of Florida told CBS News on Sunday that he expects a "supermajority" of delegates to coalesce around Harris in the coming days.

"The delegates at the convention are the ones who place our candidate on the ballot," Clendenin said. "If Biden was still on the ticket, that was going to be process."  

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,630 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

And for people who have been saying for years to 'Just give us someone young with half a brain in their head'.

Harris is qualified in Law and also in Finance and served as San Francisco District Attorney and also California Attorney General. She was US Senator for the State of California and now VP of the US for 4 years.

And she's only 59 years old. I hope she campaigns aggressively instead of any sort of 'dignified' approach trying to let her record speak for itself.

The Attorney against the Felon. That's it, that's the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭highpitcheric

None that I know of. But no doubt a Harris win would result in an avalanche of grandstanding identity politics nonsense, on par with maga, just on the other side. And a lot of white guys want to avoid the fate of having to hear that for 4 years.

Women and minorities dont work the same as a white male is pretty much the historic standard.

When a white guy (other than DT) wins the race the entire white male population doesnt have a public moment. Just another old white guy in a suit. No big change. Nothing new. Old white guy 1 or old white guy 2. So what.

But if Harris wins then life will basically become a Beyonce video for 4 years. It will all be obnoxious identity politics.

The thoughts of just having to hear it will be enough to move huge numbers of votes.

All that work the republicans put into the Hunter issue/distraction… gone !

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"White guys" aren't the only people who vote. Hillary Clinton won the popular vote in 2016 as a woman. Barack Obama won two elections as a black man.

The majority of "white guys" who hate identity politics yadda yadda yadda, were pretty much always going to be voting for Trump anyway. It's the Independents in the swing states who will determine the election as they always do, and they're more likely to just vote for who they think the best candidate for the country will be.

They don't think if Harris is elected that the next 4 years will make their country like a Beyonce video. They won't think that, because nobody would ever think that, because that's a f*cking stupid thing for a person to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Babyreignbow

you said white guy/white male 7 times in this post.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

https://x.com/AdamJSmithGA/status/1814723038564192535

“She prosecutes sex predators, he is one” Kamala will have a lot of lines of attack on the Donald

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

They seem to have timed it well and left doddery don's VP pick very exposed and a liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,068 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Was Obama 4-8 years of such a moment on the scale you describing?

You cant even point to any particular policy...

White guys are a minority now. Seems a bit entitled for them to expect that a Presidential candidate must come from that demographic.

The thoughts of just another two white guys in a suit could likewise be enough to move numbers not to vote.

Yes there will stuff written about landmark of a first female President. It will pass.

And pass such landmarks on the road to a future normal.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Maybe a minority woman can indeed win it.

That wasnt the point.

If theyd gone with a white male (or even a non-white male) that would be taken as a compromise by a lot of white male voters, as it looks like an end to the identity politics, of which so many are fatigued.

And if you think that Harris winning wont result in a torrent of p.c. nonsense and endless identity politics youre living under a rock. It will be -isms and -phobias and raised rainbow fists and cis this and privilege that til the cows come home. A reverse Trump, rather than middle ground sanity.

Silicon Valley insisted on him in exchange for many millions for trumps campaign fund…. It was a poor choice of candidate.

The VP pick to support Kamala will be a big moment. Saw someone say it is unlikely to be Newsom because of the California thing. I think it has to be male so Gretchen Whitmer is probably out.

So could it be Pete? I think that would be a very strong ticket except he might possibly outshine her. Although, he's smart enough to play the role of the back up while still representing very strongly better than anyone.

But, is the US ready for female lead and gay male understudy yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Biden stepping back has taken all the air out of the Trump campaign's killer talking point. If Harris comes in, it completely flips the table on them. Let's see just how much those questioning Biden are now going to be willing to address the same topic when it comes to Trump.

A Harris campaign can also push the 'enough old, white men' issue.

FWIW, white males are roughly 30% of the US population these days.

Aaron Sorkin (West Wing) suggested Mitt Romney as Democratic presidential candidate... that seems a bit too Hollywood but what about as VP. Hmm.

Obamas election was at a saner time.

I dont have to point to a policy. As i dont care who wins, left or right.

I only came to say that the left going for a very left appealing minority woman was a bad strategic move.

Which it is. They probably could have wrapped up the win and been done with their nemisis today if theyd gone with a candidate which keeps white males onboard.

But they didnt.

Nope, they're not so I hope they have a good long think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I posted above or elsewhere this evening that actually, if he had “speeches/rants” written and ready to go attacking Bidens policies of achievements , all he has to do is replace the name Biden with Harris?
    But yeah, Harris certainly does bring a new dimension to the race and there will be a number of angles she can take not previously open to Biden as you’ve mentioned - just hope she’s supported by the party

Think it would be a kick in the teeth for every Dem who ever put in effort fighting for the party. If he had crossed the aisle at some point before now, then maybe, but while still representing the Republican party, can't happen.

Firstly, Harris isnt even the nominee. Presumptive nominee but the Democrats havent gone with anyone yet. Biden-Harris hoovered up delegates, Biden stood down and endorsed Harris.

Secondly, white males arent the only votes Democrats need to keep onboard and are a minority of voters. If its perceived Harris doesnt get a fair chance at the nomination that could backfire too.

Not a very convincing argument when you continually dont engage with the impact of the latter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Erm. I do.

Difference is that people on here don't get them wrong as often.

Hey, my point makes perfect sense, if you cant understand it, or dont want to, then thats your problem. Go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Unless Harris was to come out and say she wouldn't seek the nomination Joe had to endorse her or he would be seen to think she would not be a good president.

That's not a good look when she's supposed to be president if something happened to Joe.

Advertisement