Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Ketchup

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Your teeth will rot more

Your brain freeze will last longer

Your smoothie will be warmer

• Registered Users Posts: 39,298 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fibre doesn’t get absorbed by the blood stream. whether blended or not.
    Our bodies are very good at getting all the energy (ie the sugar) from fruit. It’s also absorbed quickly - relative to other foods.

None of those articles back up what you claimed. That sugar is higher and fibre lower.
    Some may have read that way as they generalised smoothies and juices (which do remove the fibre and concentrate the sugar). Others mentioned how adding a smoothie on top of a meal is additional calories.. But having the whole fruit would also be additional cals.

Another pointed out that a smoothie doesn’t cancel out eating rubbish. These are not high level nutritional articles. It’s simply saying they’re not magic for those that might be under that illusion.

It’s easy to eat food fast when blended. That’s clear, obviously. But drinking some strawberries, an apple and a kiwi blended is the same calories, sugar and fibre as eating them whole.

Apologies, I didn't mean to imply that fibre was absorbed into the blood stream, I meant how the food would be absorbed differently if its already broken down by blending vs eaten whole.

I dont believe that I said sugar was higher or fibre lower for smoothies? I said that how the fruit is absorbed by the body is different.
    Of course blending doesnt change the content of the food, but it does change how your body reacts to it.

The same calorific intake can be treated differently by the body, depending on how its ingested. Try eating blended sweetcorn vs whole raw sweetcorn.

I believe you initially said that smoothies had lots of sugar with no fibre involved, in comparison to whole fruit. But has we’ve now acknowledged, that’s not the case. I think your mixed up juice and smoothies. You said blending affects the absorption of fibre. Which was also incorrect. Sugar may be absorbed slightly faster. But it all gets absorbed. Being digested 5-10 mins faster is unlikely to be significant. The same calories get absorbed.

The argument seams to have shifted slightly to easier to consume more, less satisfying. Which I've never disputed. But I’ve also never accidentally put 4 bananas into a smoothie. I bet it would be pretty heavy and filling. To eat more, would really be a conscious effort. A bowl of yogurt and fruit for breakfast is probably as satiating as the same food in smoothie.

Calorific intake is not different. Fruits are basically fully digested whether blended or not. Or any difference is so infinitesimally, that it's really not going to be the problem for anyone's diet imo.

The sweetcorn example isn't relevant. It's not a fruit. People don't put it in smoothies afaik. Sweetcorn is actually a seed. Seeds have a outer layer (pericarp) whose purpose is to prevent it from being digested, so they pass through the gut (to be "planted"). You really can't apply the same mechanic to chewed apple.

I know this is tongue in cheek. But as @Tim Robbins is genuinely asking for information.

Chewing fruit will probably expose your teeth directly to more sugar. As the teeth have to macerate the food vrs being bypassed (even though blended will have more cells "opened").

I don't believe it'll significantly impact teeth rot. But if we're scaremongering, might as well be accurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Annaa Erin

Have you seen a transparent ketchup??

I'm pretty sure your teeth will get far more exposure to rot from a smoothie than chewing fruit, a liquid is always going to cover more surface area than chunks of fruit.

Using a straw significantly reduces the issue, so ideally you should always use a straw for all drinks containing sugar.

/edit to add, or just don't drink sugary drinks!

Post edited by GreeBo on

Well, to be fair what I said was

The fibre within smoothies is already broken down for you by the act of blending, sure its still there, but its liquidised so it changes how it will be absorbed into your blood stream

and I have since clarified that I was talking about how the sugar was absorbed.

Being digested 5-10 minutes later potentially means 5-10 minutes more consumption and consumption of a liquid is easier and faster than a solid.

I'm not going to continue this tit for tat so will leave it there.

As I said, I assumed you were joking.
    But if not… a straw is good as it means you swallow quickly. Drinking normally is quick too, does it even touch your top teeth? Chewing exposes all the teeth for longer to more concentrated juice. (smoothies are diluted). But less juice too.
    But it's the residual sugar that causes decay.

A smoothie is maybe ~5% sugar, milk is the same. Fruit is ~10% (and you don't extract all the juice).
    I wouldn't be worried about sugar decay in any of those.
    The issue is sweets that are close to 100% sugar, chewed for ages, getting stuck in the teeth. And soft drinks that are are combo of sugar and acids.

A bowl of fruit is not a very balanced breakfast imo. An all fruit puree smoothie isn't either. The types of smoothies that you'll see recommended will be some blend of protein, fruit, milk (or alternative "milk"), maybe seeds and nuts (if it fits your macros). If I was to have a smoothie, it might be 300 cal, 30g protein, <10g sugar (2.5%). I wouldn't stress about the sugar content, or the calories. It's just a really simple meal.

I actually wasn't joking on the teeth bit, the longer the sugar is in your mouth the more decay as there will be more residual sugar left behind. Chewing is also more likely to result in "bits" of food getting stuck in teeth.

Straws are good as they pretty much bypass all your teeth apart from a few molars.

Drinking it "straight" will involve most teeth getting a coating.

Agreed a bowl of just fruit isn't ideal and will lead to sugar spikes, I don't think I would ever have just fruit in anything I would make myself (there would be yogurt, peanut butter, seeds, etc.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

dropping the crisps, chocolate and bread alone should have a significant effect on your weight loss provided you don’t replace them with other junk like icecream, fizzy drinks and greasy takeaways.

Advertisement