Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N26 bank student sign up

Options
  • 16-04-2024 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

My son was approached on the steps of his college a few years ago by this N26 crowd to open an account and they would give you €20. He spent the €20 and thought no more about it.
    They started sending him emails to say that the account was overdrawn by 12 cent due to some fee. Then they said it as €3 due to having to manage the overdraft.
    Bering a poor student, he just ignored the emails.
    Now they say that his case has been referred to a debt collection agency (coeo Inkasso GmbH) and they will need to pay approx €60 to settle. Threat of a lawsuit

Anyone experienced something like this - will he have to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

N26 is a legitimate bank. He opened a bank account. He likely used a card associated with the account, and therefore is liable to Government stamp duty.

Pay the debt. It was foolish to ignore.

Just my two cents - not an expert.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

N26 is a correctly licensed bank and your son is an adult who signed a contract that is being enforced…. And he needs to learn the lesson and deal with this matter because it will continue to accumulate fees and charges in accordance with the bank's fee schedule until he sorts it out. He needs to go through the paper work and understand his rights and consequences, then figure out how he wants to deal with it.

I am familiar with COEC, but I have no way of known how far they will go in trying to collect the sum, but if the account continues to collect charges at some point it will become worth their while to chase it down.

Advertisement