Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden wall - cost of block vs. simple dry stone?

Options
  • 16-04-2024 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

I need to build a wall around three sides of a half-acre garden (replacing an old fence). It'll probably be four or five foot tall.

Not fussy about what KIND of wall exactly, so am just trying to get clear in my head if there is a big cost, time or efficiency saving in building one type over another?

That is, would it be cheaper and faster to

1. buy a truckload of local stone (if I can find some) and get someone to build a basic farmer-style dry stone wall, no trench or foundations, OR
    2. to get a small builder to dig a trench, lay the concrete, and have a couple of blocklayers build a bog-standard concrete block wall?

Can anyone recommend someone to do either, in Co. Galway?

(Hard to find any available tradesmen at all, never mind one who offers both; when I start asking questions they - quite reasonably - suggest I decide what I want first)

Comments

Advertisement