Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike to work for parts upgrades

Options
  • 18-04-2024 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I'm shopping around a few bike shops at the moment for upgrades for my current bike. some are more helpful than others.

The bit I'm wondering is.. the prices are coming back as the RRP or slightly above.

So it looks like almost all of the bike2work tax savings will be wiped out by them being 75% more expensive when compared to shopping for the same parts online.

I don't begrudge them a margin, but even if they were to buy these parts from the germans, add on 20% margin and sell them to me it would be a lot cheaper.

we are talking 140 for a casette that I can get for 75.

So are they just not getting good prices in the trade?

or they want a huge margin on part sales.

Anyone done something like this reasonably without getting completely gouged?

Thanks

Post edited by Weepsie on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Alanbt

Bike parts are not covered on the cycle to work scheme, unless the bike shop does something dodgy. If upgrading components then online usually cheaper, but would not be able to avail of any tax savings via cycle to work scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

You are right, drivetrain not covered. But seems there wasn't to be any saving anyway.

it's nonsense to not include parts, they all wear and tear, and this is indeed my commuter bike. The uk does allow parts.

I guess I will do smaller b2w for the accessories which are allowed. Buying a bike doesnt really make sense, I don't have funds to bridge the gap to something of similar spec to what I have. 1

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm in the same boat - but tbh the scheme is aimed to get someone onto a bike, not necessarily an expensive bike.

It does have the unintended(?) consequence though of people like you and me either buying parts online instead, or putting money toward a new bike, instead of upgrading an existing bike which would be more environmentally friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

I agree, I'm not expecting it to fund a new 4k carbon wonder machine.

I got my current bike on the scheme 5 years ago, it was 1300 but you'd need to give 1800-1900 for the same spec now. So that top up gap has grown.

They do let you go again every 4 years, there's an assumption that you'd just change the whole bike..

Which is more reason to allow you to put the money into keeping your existing bike going, its more affordable and better for the environment as you say.

We don't have a good repair culture here. The bike shops would make more money from this too..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Bike shops in Ireland have a great repair culture, or at least the ones I frequent do. Like I said what you suggested above is illegal and a form of tax fraud. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, although if it does, no one has ever been charged with it, most likely either because the figures are tiny or it doesn't happen. None of that is important and you'd have to ask a bike shop directly if you wanted further discussion. As this thread is against forum rules and I am going to lock it. they should tell you no but you will not be able to tell anyone here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement