Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your "comfort films"?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

As a film, that's kind of what it is.

As a part of the cultural context when the book its based on was written, its about the end of the hippy era and mainstream American culture swerving away from that and head first into full-blooded capitalism.

Visually, its quite impressive and the two lead performances are excellent. There's a lot of black humour to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

I suppose because it's based on a book about two lads getting wasted and it seemed a very difficult job to execute on screen the type of world the author described about two lads getting wasted, but Gilliam did a great job of it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Love a good comfort movie!

-Jaws

-Alien & Aliens

-Terminator

-all back to the future

-80s ghostbusters

-all Indiana

-The Fugitive

-What lies beneath

-Halloween (1978) but love the 1998 one too

-The Faculty

• Registered Users Posts: 10,912 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Forgot Rosemary's Baby, the rest of my family can’t stand it but there’s just something about it I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Legends Of The Fall

The Hustler

The Thin Red Line

Rambo First Blood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Mentioned already but

Terminator 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Space Dog

All of the Scream movies

Death Becomes Her

The Silence of the Lambs

Drop Dead Gorgeous

The Craft

Showgirls

Black Swan

Rosemary's Baby

Braindead/Dead Alive

Mommie Dearest

I guess I'm still stuck in the 90s for the most part...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭yagan

During the lockdowns the movies I probably returned to most times were Margin Call and the Big Short.

Jeremy Irons in Margin Call succinctly atomises capitalism as a series of disasters and opportunities while the Big Short gives us the street level view of out of control lending.

Edit to add I see Wake in Fright on this thread which I found to be deeply uncomfortable after having lived outback for a few years. I've never regretted not staying in oz, regardless of how much they paid me.

Post edited by yagan on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭appledrop

Shawshank Redemption

Die Hard

Pretty Women

Love Actually

Zoolander

Coming to America(Never on anymore watched it all the time in 90s)

The Holiday

Sliding Doors

Four Weddings and a Funeral

Meet the parents

Apollo 13

Armageaddon

Devil Wears Prada

Legally Blonde!

The Departed( can't get the tune out of my head now!)

The Bourne Identity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ive watched 'I Love you, Man' and 'The Other Guys' more times than I'd like to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Terminator 2, Aliens and Predator were my childhood rotation films. Fairly sure the tapes were worn down to a point where they were nearly unwatchable!

Actually found it really interesting when all the director's cuts/uncensored DVDs came out a decade or so later just how much content had been removed from those tv broadcasts id grown up watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Quite a few that have already been mentioned (Cinema Paradiso, The Snapper, Top Gun/Maverick, Back to the Future all featured in the "couldn't switch channel if it was on" category) but for a couple that haven't been mentioned:

Captain America: The First Avenger. Cheesier than dairylea slices but I love it.

Before Sunrise: when I want to escape into the dreams of my twenties.

Empire Records: the soundtrack is excellent and working in a record shop was this particular nerdy teenager's dream job in the 90's.

High Fidelity: an older, more cynical version of the above (with added Jack Black being hilarious).

Harry Potter & The Philosophers Stone: yes, yes, Prisoner of Askaban is a far superior film but none of the sequels touch the first film for the sheer childish wonder of the world of magic imo.

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves: almost wore out the VHS recording I had of it from RTE's Christmas Schedule as a kid!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SodiumCooled

I have loads really but some examples:

• Star wars (any really but original trilogy in particular)
    • Jurassic Park
    • Independence day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

Deep Impact

Contact

Day after tomorrow

Rocky 1+2

Awakenings

An old 80’s film ‘At close Range’ - great soundtrack of it on youtube (never released) by John leonard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭tom23

Bourne Identity still brilliant

Advertisement