Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Long way to go but if Jones doesn't wake up soon this could get ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Big frame steal from Jones that. Some savage potting near end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Virgo was commentating like it was the decider of the final. Steady on John!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Crowd seem to be on Jones side anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Yes, seems like quite the advantage now having them just before the finals.

Guys are battle hardened and ready to go against guys not used to playing the longer format.

• Advertisement

And Jones has woken up, back to 3-2.

Players leaving arena after frames far too much

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Augme

Bingham is still having nightmares about that missed blue when 3-0. Hasn't recovered from it at all.

And now Bingham needs to wake up, would fancy Jones to get the next two as well the way things have gone in the last few frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Snooker is such a strange sport. Momentum completely shifts on one shot. This game could easily be 6-0 to Bingham. That's why we love it I suppose.

• Advertisement

Excellent response by Stuart, don't think he'd be too happy, even if he goes in 5-3 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Auld lad in white shirt in at edge of aisle has been asleep for 2-3 frames now!

4-4, Jones will definitely be the happier of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Great tight matches with some good snooker for the semi-finals, with all four players having turned up, wtf else do people want?

Post edited by extra-ordinary_ on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,182 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I must have missed Jones winning a frame in a single visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,365 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Moaners going to moan, if it was a Trump V Ronnie, Williams V Higgins (or similar), the moaners would be out in force and say the sport is tired, same faces etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭BQQ

interesting battle between Wilson and Gilbert

Gilbert’s cue ball control isn’t the best - leaves himself with a lot of tricky mid-range shots, but he’s good at making them, so he still scores well

As long as it stays a shoot-out, he’s got a great chance

I feel Wilson would win comfortably if he made it scrappy, but he’s too proud/stupid to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Gilbert/Bingham final would be good.

I never found Wilson enjoyable to watch. Jones cannot score heavily enough but seems to have a good enough safety/tactical game to compensate.

all square 8-8

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is a good point about Wilson I don't think he is a "matchplayer". He leans very heavily on his own play/form.

Maybe the days of "shrewd tacticians" are slowly fading away?

On listening to Robertson commentating (he seems the other extreme) it is a wonder he manages to pot a ball at all, with all the angles covered literally. Thinking about every shot every alternate option all sorts. He definitely commentates differently to any other in the game. Refreshing in a way. But you would be worn out listening to all the information.

I remember one time he said (on Hendry's youtube channel)when he plays certain players that he watches their games closely and notes that they are weaker on one side of the table etc. Leaves them more shots that side

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

"30 minute frame"

"took some winning"

"he needed a couple of chances"

Common statements after Jak Jones wins a frame

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Its a pity we didn't get a Gilbert O'Sullivan final

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Whats with yer wan in the 1960s go-go dancer getup?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,194 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jak Jones is the most limited player I've ever seen this far in the world championship.

FaiFair play. He's done great to get this far and could still win this game. But his play is on a different level to the top pros.

He's almost never in control of the cue ball, can't seem to ever finish on the balk line in defensive play, potting is only OK.

But he rarely takes on difficult shots. Rarely plays ambitious safety (and almost never gets them) and doesn't give up.

I admire him. No shade at him and i wouldnt begrudge him winning the tournament. I just think he's very limited.

Any coverage of how many century breaks there have been at this year's championship? I bet it's lower than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,399 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

56 so far.

Last 10 years have been 90, 109, 108, 79, 100, 84, 74, 86, 86, 58.

So definitely going to be on the low-side, way off the 3 figures. But should definitely catch the 58 of 2014 and outside chance of catching the 74 of 2017. I've no memory of why 2014 was so low.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jak Jones could be the worst player to ever reach a crucible final.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

If someone won the world championship but was outside the top 16 in rankings, would they get a spot in the world championship to deddnd their title?

I know the 500,000 would pretty much guarantee top 16 spot, but just wondering what the rules are.

that was definitely a push by Jones. He would have felt it. Poor form.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

No guarantee

they/them/theirs

Advertisement