Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Jones to his credit was stoic throughout and handled the whole occasion very well, nothing fancy and zero flair to him but he's in a world final now and could easily win it, but it has to be said honest he had a lot of help from Bingham who was very honest in his post match interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Jones: "No, I don't think I am playing well. I just... I'm just winning. You know what I mean? I'm not doing anything exceptional, I don't think. I'm not scoring at all really… heavy. I'm making 60's and 70's. Em, but I'm not doing anything special".

At least he was honest. Probably the only honest person on the show this evening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

For those complaining about all the auld lads playing, at least it's two young-ish players in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

That's all it takes - make the fewest mistakes, miss the least easy balls, Jones did this against Bingham, but cannot see him doing it against Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

The tight pockets are suiting the likes of Jones, he doesn't over hit shots. Bingham was blasting balls at tight angles! Some of jones barely dropped in hitting them in easy. He played clever Conservative snooker

• Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yes, there were noticable coughs on the mid distance Brown that Bingham missed in the final frame. Bingham also wasn't happy with crowd movement earlier in the night. It is not why he lost, he admitted in his interview he missed a lot of chances,blacks off the spot etc.

But it is out of order to say the least and might have been the difference if it was a bit tighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I think Jones' attitude is a huge point of difference. He's not very good and he plays to his limit. He seems very comfortable in his own skin. Players are in big trouble when they sit mutter in their chair because they're not saying anything nice about themselves. Jones didn't do any of that.

He often looks at difficult shots, gets down to line it up for a second or 2, gets up and plays the easier shot. He knows his limitations. He's playing to the absolute limit of his ability.

Plus he's not taking difficult shots when the pockets are playing tight. Bingham keep going for those shots and missing. I'd say overall, Jones missed easier shots than Bingham missed, but they both missed a lot of shots which makes it pretty even overall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

There was guy sitting across from us and he kept moving when Stuart was down on his shot. Marcel called the wrong person out on it and apologised.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

It will be a painful watch but I hope Jones wins. There's something about Wilson I dislike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

if Jones wins it’ll finish some time on Tuesday. I want Wilson to blow him away early. I can’t not watch it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Wilson thinks he's one of the greats and in my opinion he's delusional. He's far from the great natural player he claims to be.

I hope Jones wins. He's been honest with his assessment of his game.

But it also shows the state of the game if Wilson and Jones are in the final.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It doesn't say anything about the state of the game. It's an anomaly. If you're going to look at the state of the game look at who has won tournaments in the season, and it's pretty much exactly who you'd expect.

Plenty of players just didn't play remotely close to their best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think there was too much expectation/pressure on the favourites: Trump to be multiple winner, O'Sullivan 888, Allen first time, Brecel defending / Crucible curse, even down to Selby, crisis of confidence, Higgins top 16 and Robinson FOMO.

The two finalists, indeed the 4 semi finalists had zero pressure / expectation on them at the start. Wilson has a little now, but he seems to be managing it. It will be an interesting final in many ways, albeit not sure all the snooker will be of interest. I will keep an eye for sure, dip in, dip out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

what is “the state of the game” in your opinion?

In mine it’s extremely healthy. More tournaments than ever, more prize money than ever and the winners generally being the ones who play the most attacking snooker.

This years worlds has been a freak, the tables have eliminated some players. Not “the state of the game”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 20,188 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Does Wilson think he's great? I've never got a bad vibe from him. I don't dislike many of the players but I don't think we would be mates.

I wouldn't begrudge either of them the win, but for very different reasons.

Does anyone wonder if players will reassess their game in light of Jones run? Maybe they're overcomplicating things and it would pay to keep it simple if you're not a top player.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I don't really care who wins, I felt the same in 2022 but at least then it was two quality players to look forward to, this has all the makings of a tedious slog.

I had to tune into BBC just to see how they will try to dress up this mutton as lamb. It's only been on a few minutes and it's already littered with lies. From Davis's formula of having to beat a great player, to Hazel Irvine saying Wilson came close to winning the World Championship before. No he didn't, he barely made the Monday evening session of the final in 2020, which lasted all of 1 frame.

• Advertisement

"Here we go". Rob Walker to spew verbal diarrhea.

Walker says Jones has beaten multiple World Champions on his way to the final. While true, it sounds better than it is. One time winners Bingham and Trump. He bored them to death and they played poorly.

The praise for Wilson is damning already. Dennis Taylor says anybody who beats John Higgins has a great chance to win the World Championship.

Then Hendry follows up with Wilson has only beaten 1 player in the top 16(Higgins who was barely there and was struggling to keep his place for next season) to get to the final, but that's not his fault says Hendry.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

These “breaks” right after frame need stomping out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

Thanks for giving us all a break for the Final .

Wilson started with a century, the first opening century in a final since Hendry in 1993 says Hazel Irvine. I would be surprised if anyone did it before him.

I had to. Curiosity and, well, you can't talk about something if you haven't seen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,915 ✭✭✭Xander10

But you bore the hell out of everyone on all sport's thread. A break here would have been nice.

Really Helen Lovejoy? Whose first comments on this tournament came yesterday. And try speaking for yourself just.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,525 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Awful missed black. Jones no hope if those type misses continue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Jones not able to punish Wilson's mistakes.

Advertisement