Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

He played it odd as well. When John Higgins plays them he makes sure he has idea where the cueball is going. Hitting it firm but not walloping it.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭rolling boh

One of many bizarre shot choices but I suppose he made the scoreboard look respectable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭John arse

As Wilson absolutely falls over the line here,get ready for the Tears-MARK MY WORDS😥😥😥😥😥

Wilson will be lucky to win another world title. He gets too emotional.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

One of the most undeserving "champions" I can remember is Wilson. He won't care one bit though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This has been by far the worst world championships I've ever seen. Not just the final but the entire two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,817 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Delighted for Wilson.

Poor final but fair play to him. Jones shouldn't have been near the final.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Fair play to him for doing enough in the end, hard to blame him for shouting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Oh no, here come the water works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Got handed it in the end, why oh why would Jones take on that double, Wilson was gone.

The damage was done in the first session, but you'd nearly of fancied the comeback and then that double comes out of nowhere and he hands it to him in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭StevenToast

That was Dott- Ebdon final standard

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 39,874 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In fairness it obviously means a lot to him to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭maximus15

ya , he really should be robotic and show no emotion ! He is world champion for fec sake and knows he may never win it again .

Does Jones realise he could have won this? Take away the horrendous start, not even all of the 6 frame lead, just one even. The last frame on the repotted black in the second session. The fluked black by Wilson tonight that Jones should have buried. And many of the frames that Jones squandered on his own.

The channel was changed as soon as it was clear this was over. Not a chance in hell am I watching that presentation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Wilson was the most consistent player of the tournament up to tonight. No one really pushed him close. Well done to him.

Tonight he was shocking, but it’s done.

Right, it’s been emotional lads. See you all in September for something less exciting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Stephen Hendry spotted backstage with a bottle of Jack Daniels 🥃🥃🥃

It was dramatic though. There were a few close games in Q-Final, Semi-Final. Quarter Finals in particular was good for drama. There were two other close ones in the 1st round. Ding/Lisowski - M.Williams Si

But it was definitely a very poor final standard wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Poor state of affairs that Kyren Wilson was the strongest player this tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

He got over the line in the end but he was pretty poor overall, 7-1 start saved him and Jones just left him off the hook wat too many times, he had so many chances to win more frames, on another day the score line could of easily been the other way round, Wilson was actually terrible tonight, think he had like one break over 50 tonight, plus that lucky finish on the black, plus the double Jak took on to gift him it, he looked totally gone in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Great for the Northamptonshire! Bit tense at the end but delighted for Kyren.

Post edited by Tom Mann Centuria on

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,364 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Surprised he wasn't a bit more disappointed in the end, he was immediately chuffed with the 200k and top 16.

I don't blame him. I usually have a drink during the last session of the WC. I could have done with one and I was tempted, but it would have been a waste of drink.

Edit: You know what? I think I deserve one after putting up with that. I might just do it.

Amazed no one said that in studio. I suppose they want to focus on the "lovely arena" and "spectacle" instead?

I lost count how many frames Jones threw away. It must be close to ten frames. Was there 3/4 black ball games alone that he lost?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,689 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yeah and could have been a very different tournament if some of those very tight matches had gone the other way.

Awful shame Allen didn't make it through his one, this could have been his year.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Kyren Wilson is the champion and no one can take that away from him but the standard of play in that final - my god!,but anyway move on good luck to Wilson and enjoy the win . Unlucky Jak Jones.It was certainly entertaining!!!

Allen must be sick. Easily the most consistent and best player all season. World number one spot not much consolation.

I watched Mark Allen all season and while he played very well mostly he was prone to some unbelievable bad streaks during matches.I think he's the provisional world no. 1 but he still a way away from being the best in the world that he seems to think he is?

• Advertisement

Just as Wilson will never get an easier World title, equally, Jones will never get a better opportunity to win the World Championship. I would be very surprised if he gets this far again. It was a once in a lifetime chance.

Advertisement