Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2024 World Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Yeah and I agree. Plus I wouldn't mind relative to other sports snooker is only in "the crucible" since 1977.47 years ago.

And they only found the venue by fluke a wife of a promoter was watching a show there etc etc.

To be honest it winds me up the way they go on about the "magic of a crucible. It is very cramped when there is the two table set up and sreen. Plus from looking at the behind the scenes stuff they have done in the past and recently. It all looks very pokey and antiquated.And that is even since the makeover.

The history stuff is silly really 47 years. That is nothing. Plus what annoys me as well Goff's was a lovely venue. All the players seemed to comment at how nice it was but they stopped it. Killed it slowly by moving it from before the World Championship.

And they were struggling to get sponsorship (after the Tobacco ban) as it was.

But yet we have to hear this "history" talk about the crucible. It is basically no longer fit for purpose (if it ever was). There are plenty of other snooker venues on tour that are nicer than the crucible. "History" seems to the crucible's only USP.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Presumably because limited capacity compared to other venues means the crucible isn't the best venue

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭drury..

Well yes if the wcs needs a bigger venue then rebuild or move it

I don't know why capacity would determine the need to switch

Presumably it was grand in the 70s. Times change and things need to change with it.

Old doesn't always = good. But snooker has an older fan base so, as a group, they're always going to be less inclined to change things

"No longer fit for purpose "

What's changed ?

Lots of cliches being bandied about by the anti-crucible posters

• Advertisement

Whats changed in 47 years? Times have changed. The sports/business/consumer dynamic has changed. It's been 47 years, as they keep reminding us. It would be extraordinarily unlikely that the same thing that was adequate in the 1970s is still adequate today. Everything changes. Snooker isn't exactly at a high point in popularity. Refusing to see the obvious need for change is disappointing to see.

Let it get to 50 and retire. I just hope it doesn't move to Saudi. If it had moved to a more suitable venue already and allowed itself to modernise, there probably wouldn't be such weak arguments against moving it to Saudi. Alexandra Palace or some even better venue could have a much stronger case for keeping it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I was reading up on the 1973 World Championship, held in Manchester and was in a way the first with a modern format. Even before 1977 in the Crucible.

2 weeks in April, 24 players and Alex was the young defending champion. Tobacco sponorship from Park Drive before Embassy came in for 1976.

Just had little BBC tv coverage, a few frames. So it is considered before year dot.

Total attendance was 25,000 across the two weeks in 1973 which surprised the promotors. Today they probably sell about 47,000 tickets at the Crucible each year

If the Hearns do move it to Saudi Arabia they might dream about selling 25,000 tickets.

Post edited by Arthur Daley on

You haven't made a single point except cliches

"Times have changed" "Everything changes" "Let's get it to 50 and retire"

Not sure "let it get to 50 and retire" is a cliché.

OK. Can you make a good case for keeping it in the crucible? No clichés, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭waynescales1

No one can. It's sad of course, but the sport has outgrown the venue, simple as that.

• Advertisement

Jaysus lads some of ye must be watching too much John parrot 🤔

"What does that mean "the sport has outgrown the venue" ?

One poster posting cliches to agree with another posters cliches , it's comical.

Make the case for the move aside from the seating capacity and money which are already established points in the discussion

As said previously it seems to be down to money in the main and not the good of the sport

It means the venue and facilities are not as good as others on the tour, as stated by many players currently on tour. Also, as stated by Barry Hearn the current venue cannot meet demand for tickets.

I can't tell if you're a troll or a clown.

So we got there in the end , you managed to make a point

The venue is not as good as modern venues(if true )and seating capacity

You let yourself down with the personal abuse

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭breffni bogballer

Time to bring it to Goffs

Make the case for the Crucible. Should be easy for you.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I didn’t realise Higgins was so close to dropping out of the top 16. If he loses tonight he’s out, according to the commentators

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I'd wonder if Higgins loses tonight could he jack it in. He's looking his age now that's for sure, with that shaven head. Looks about twenty years older than O'Sullivan

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Higgins came out firing this evening, 8-5 up at the interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

He's looked like an aul fella since he was 30. Bloke needs a bit of sun.

Just saw Ronnie's interview from earlier. Not sure I've seen him as up for it and excited at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

This has the provisional rankings https://www.snooker.org/res/index.asp?template=35

They have taken out the WC 2 years ago and added the current ranking points, those in red still in, mark allen got a good chance at #1 too.

Winner 500,000

Runner-up 200,000

Edit- Semis 100,000

Quarters 50,000

Second Round 30,000

First Round 20,000

• Advertisement

Anyone watching Trump v Ford see yer man in row 4-5? About 2/3rds of his entire head is blue? Is that a tattoo or what? Looks like something out of X-Men…

Switched over and see him. And to think they banned football shirts a few years back.

Just discovered that Eurosport player has commentary in about 8 languages for the Worlds. Italian, Danish, Hungarian the lot

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Higgins eventually gets over the line, 10-6.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

What on Earth are you smoking, the field is abysmal! In the top half of the draw, into the last 16, we've Gilbert, Milkins, Murphy, Maguire, Higgins, Allen, O'Connor and Wilson. Of those 8, Higgins is the only world class player, and years past his best. Allen and Wilson top players, but either Allen or Higgins will be gone after this round. Murphy a former world champ but not good enough, the rest also rans.

In the bottom half, you've Trump, Ford, Jones, Si, Lisowski, Bingham, Day and O'Sullivan. The only two genuine world class players are O'Sullivan and Trump. Bingham the worst world champion ever. Si might become great, but the rest also rans. Trump or O'Sullivan could win this, with the other being their only test.

The field is absolutely brutal. I've never seen such a dearth of talent in the game, than we have right now. In the last 16, maybe 3 world class players, 2 being in their late 40's. Shocking!

When Ryan Day is still knocking about you know your in trouble. I like him, but he wasn't even a top player in his prime, yet the next generation is so poor, he's still on the scene. Says it all.

Compare this to the field in 2003 for example, and it's laughable how far the game has fallen, in terms of talented players. And you reckon it's the strongest field ever, when it's arguably the weakest ever? You need your head checked man. Clearly don't have a notion about the game

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I assume the poster meant the strength and depth in the game. The standard has definitely improved from the 90's anyway. I remember rushing to record 147's on video there was only about 10/11 of them in history at the time. Around the time of Wattana's one at the British Open.

Not long ago Steve Davis having an interview with Ronnie O'Sullivan. Ronnie was shocked at the results Davis got in the 80's lots of 9-0 8-1 9-1 etc.

Davis said the standard and depth was not there in the 80's. He knew he was going to hammer most players before the match.

What snooker badly needs is a few young lads "taking over" in their 20's though. Because it needs to attract new viewers.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The standard improving is relative. In every sport the standard improves over time. It's due to external factors, not inherent talent of individuals improving from one era to the next. Someone told me Mark Williams century rate is better now than his prime, yet he's a shadow of his former self and treats the game as a part time sport.

The "standard" may have "improved" for a variety of reasons, but the individual talent has dropped way off. A 90's Hendry on these tables would run through this field without blinking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The crucible is too cramped period. It comes across badly on TV, with the dividing wall right behind the players in the middle and the spectators mugs hovering over the table at the sides. I heard a bump in this evenings proceedings, I rewound to find it was the refs foot accidentally banging up against the side barrier by the players alcove as he was positioning himself behind the player taking his shot. That's how cramped it is.

It's only a venue not a dedicated sports arena. It is not equivalent to Wimbledon, it's just a place. Who could care less that the WC's are held in a place not called The Crucible except people who think that that is somehow important because nostalgia or something.

If the people who organise these things think they could deliver a better experience by moving it elsewhere then I think they should go for it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

you’ve decided that none of the top snooker players are top snookers players. That’s no logical basis for a discussion. To say Higgins is currently a “world class” player is laughable. He hasn’t been for the best part of a decade. Actually you’re the only person I’ve ever heard use the term “world class” about snooker, it’s a football term used because they all play in different leagues. Snooker players play each other regularly.

If I compare the field to 2003, it’s a better field. Apart from Hendry, who was on the wain, and Hunter who was a developing talent.

Lastly, stop with the insults. There’s not need for it. If you do it again I won’t respond. I don’t “need my head checked” and I’m not “smoking” anything. We disagree.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Allen's been on track to get to #1 since his incredible start to last season (and O'Sullivan's mediocre results last season). However his form has dropped off a bit since and his lead in the provisional EoS rankings for this year has been whittled away by Trump.

But the WC really imbalances the rankings with the huge prize money involved - anyone down as far as Murphy in 6th could end up at #1 depending on how other results go for the players above them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Yep, if you take out the WC Luca would go from 3rd to 24th with the potential for 5 people to still jump him. If you average the 2 years a WC is worth a bit more than the 2 top players (allen and trump) got in all the other tournaments for that year.

But then the WC is the big one. If it moves and the prize money doubles it will become even more imbalanced.

Advertisement