Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruptured L4 & L5

Options
  • 20-04-2024 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

hi all

Recently I went for an MRI scan showing that my L4&L5 are ruptured.I’ve been suffering deadly pain from my bum right down to my ankle like a poker being pushed down in my leg. My dr is referring me to a dr Chris Lim in the matter hospital cork, he is a Surgical Neurologist .

I suppose my question is what questions should I be asking him??

And if anyone has dealt with him what did they think of his work?

I don’t have any health insurance.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,815 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved from Feedback to Long Term Illness

I have moved this discussion into our most relevant forum for lower back pain/sciatica, which is our Long Term Illness forum.

Before you post anything here, be aware that there is a different charter in operation in this forum than in Feedback, so pay particular attention to the rule which states that you can not ask for medical advice, nor can you ask about particular individuals as this could result in certain posts crossing the line, amounting to defamation, resulting in legal action against Boards. In other words, posts specifically about the consultant are likely to be deleted.

Speaking in general terms, it all depends on the severity of your condition, and whether it can be managed according to the article from the NHS below, or it may be the case that surgery is needed. Only your consultant will be able to tell you for sure what is the best way forward given your MRI results.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/sciatica/

Now that this discussion is in a more relevant forum, hopefully there will be someone who went through what you are currently going through, and willing to share their stories. While we don’t permit medical advice, we do allow people to talk about their own experiences with sciatica, with general questions such as (example): “How long did you have to wait before getting an appointment?” being permitted.

Have a read of that NHS article that I linked to and hopefully you will get an appointment with the consultant ASAP.

Best of luck with everything!

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭terminator74

By ruptured to you mean herniation or disc bulge at L4 /L5?. If so its likely the consultant will assess the extent of herniation and recommend the course of action, typically conservative approaches first if not serious (either an injection and physio) or surgery if more serious. What you are experiencing now if its a herniation is sciatic pain. Its awful pain so make sure you manage it. it does go away naturally after about 6 weeks (everyone's different) but you may experience some lingering sensitivity. I don't have any experience of the consultant in question.

However for questions to ask - how serious is it on a scale of 1-10? Is there a likelihood of re-herniation; should I get an injection?

best of luck and hope it clears up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LimerickGray

he is a lovely man to have as your doctor. He removed 2 herniating discs in lumbar spine and 2 cervical. Explains everything really well and very chatty.
    it removed the leg pains and back pain 95% for me. The bulges are huge like a meatball. I have a photo of 1 from him.
    Try to exhaust the physio options if you can. The injections are ok but don’t cure the issue.
    Recovery from lumbar surgery is VERY sore for a week or so. Lots of physio needed afterwards as you will be very weak.

he is a lovely man to have as your doctor. He removed 2 herniating discs in lumbar spine and 2 cervical. Explains everything really well and very chatty. 
    it removed the leg pains and back pain 95% for me. The bulges are huge like a meatball. I have a photo of 1 from him. 
    Try to exhaust the physio options if you can. The injections are ok but don’t cure the issue. 
    Recovery from lumbar surgery is VERY sore for a week or so. Lots of physio needed afterwards as you will be very weak.

• Advertisement
Advertisement