Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to unblock sink

• 20-04-2024 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

HI all

I would be grateful for any ideas on the best way to fix a blocked kitchen sink. I have tried plunging it but that's not working. I've heard coka cola or vinegar might work but would the acid damage the pipes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Vinegar and baking soda is a great combo.

When you're plunging it are you making sure to block the overflow part in the sink too? Can't get a vaccum going if you dont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,738 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Have you any idea where the blockage is? IE in the Ubend or further down the pipe? Is there any other sink blocked or slow draining in the house?

If the blockage is in the UBend under the sink I usually find that the plunger does the job.

If it doesn't coke or vinegar won't dislodge what is there but there is specific drain unblocking compounds that can be used. These are generally good against greasy and/or food blockages. Woodies have a selection of these available.

Personally, if plunging doesn't work for me I am taking the pipework at the Ubend apart and cleaning that way.

If the blockage is elsewhere, further along etc, you can try the chemical unblocked or you can also by a long device that you can also get in woodies(a home made one could work to) to try 'rod' the blockage .

Some others may have better advice.

To answer your question, a high enough concentration of an acid could damage something en route but not coke or vinegar.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭CWone

Thanks a mil I blocked the side sink and the overflow and seemed to get good suction and some gunge came up. I cleaaned that away but water still not going down. I will try the vinegar and soda and hopefully that works.

Thanks a mil for the advice. The water in the shower had been going down slowly but the sink was never affected. I assumed they were separate systems. I will try the vinegar and soda that o1s1n suggested first. If that doesn't work it looks like a ubend clean and/or a trip to Woodies!

Thanks again both of you for your very helpful suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Escapees

I'd say the issue is with the shared shower drain which would naturally be more prone to getting blocked. It would be worth plunging this for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,741 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I had this problem a couple of years ago. The sink drains into the shower waste pipe. The shower/bath was backing up and the sink was also slow to drain. It turned out that the drain pipe had come off its support and created a low curve where gunk was slowing down and had built up, causing the very slow draining.

As recently as last week, the kitchen sink was back up 😥

Some disassembly, cleaning of gunk and hardened grout!!…litres of boiling water and plunging action sorted that out.

Stay Free

Thanks a mil for your suggestion. Yeah hadn't thought it was related but that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,470 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I usually use this in our kitchen sink when it blocks up occasionally, works well -

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/278418870

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions. Got it sorted with boiling water, plunging and clearing pipe.

Advertisement