Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone taking photos of my house

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Could be worse OP, you could live in this house.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this thread is turning into a dog's dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Woodcutting

Years ago there was a man on Joe Duffy who was photographed by Google inside his house and not blurred. I don't think he was eating, just sat where visible through the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭Deeec

You could be correct or it could be complete paranoia on your part.

I have a friend who has poor eyesight. She holds her phone a certain way up high on front of her face in a specific light to see the phone. Anyone who doesn't know her thinks she's taking a photograph or a video but she's not.

I don't know why anyone would be videoing or photographing your house as I don't know anything about your house or location - only you can answer that. Surely if this guy is local to where you live you can ask some questions around about him.

It's possible he's standing there for another reason - it seems a busy enough road in fairness.

Actually, your going to some serious internet traffic tomorrow! I am now walking around the house for the next week in the nip. All lights on. If some weirdo wants to come and take photos, they will get something shaken at them! A Russian roulette on their behalf.

It's odd not just because of what he's doing but like I mentioned earlier, I had been dealing with a stalker/caller to my home over the previous 7 years and it was this time last year (to the day!) when he was caught. He made lots of references to murder when he called here, hence all the cameras. Anyway, I do have people I contacted that I dealt with last time so I passed the footage on to them.

I would post the footage that shows him filming in action but there are other people in it so I can't post it here. It's a really quiet street in a residential neighbourhood, the traffic is school run which is the main source of vehicular access here. It's a quiet off road area. He's not standing on the road, he was out there filming. I've been here over 20 years so I can confirm his behaviour is completely out of the norm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭Woodcutting

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Candlel

Is there relevance to the dinner bit? Google has many pictures of our house, we are not in any of them though. And we don’t eat dinner in such a way that people passing by could see. Maybe you need a better ditch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

I think most houses are already on Google street view

Its not a breach of privacy to take a photo of a house from a public street or road

• Advertisement

There are legitimate reasons why someone might need to take photos of peoples houses, property surveyor or engineers might be in the area and that kind of thing but there are also issues that can be a cause for concern.

Stalking can include:
    Unwanted behaviours
    Loitering around your home.
    Spying or tracking your movements (online, using technology or in person).
    Following you.
    Making unwanted approaches to you (at home, work, in public).
    Making unwanted approaches to friends, family or colleagues.
    Interfering with or damaging your property, breaking into your home.

so in a situation where you feel it is unwarranted behaviour then you should contact the garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 423 ✭✭thereiver

No point in talking to a garda unless you have evidence of illegal behavior

Stalking is illegal behaviour, the maximum sentence for the offence of stalking is 10 years in prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Antipathetic

Is there any actual evidence that someone is stalking you at the moment?

To me, it sounds like you are being very paranoid.

The guy in the video posted earlier didn't look like he was doing anything wrong. The fact that he was holding up his phone could just be innocent. For example, it was sunny so he possibly needed to hold the phone higher in order to see the screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

This thread got interesting…

to the poster who believes themselves to be the victim of stalking, take the matter to the police and don't post about it on a public forum.

If you had read my previous posts you would see the answer to that question.

It has been taken to the police and I posted it here because I googled and this thread came up, so it's relevant to the discussion. If people are happy about random people taking photos of their home then this should be par for the course. Why have you issues with it being discussed here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

5 months on from the OP . Have we actually figured out why the person on the bike was taking photos or has it just become a mud slinging thread?

To be fair, I had googled the topic the other day after it happened as I wanted to see where I stood legally and this thread came up. As it happens I had requested account deletion so I didn't expect my account would still be active. I literally decided to leave boards due to the harassment that you see above. The following day that guy was outside my home.

I posted the footage here for a couple of reasons. If people are ok with the actions of someone just randomly taking photos or filming their home as outlined in the op then it should be ok to randomly film someone in a public place and put it on the internet. This is normal right? If the guy in the video has an issue with it and wants to contact me to discuss it then I'd be happy to talk to him.

Also, going back to the previous issue I had mentioned being subject of stalking for many years and it had a very real consequences on my life. I wanted to make that point clear because lots of people aren't aware of how stalking can affect someone. Ireland has recently passed new legislation to deal with stalking and many people probably aren't aware of these either and so I hoped this discussion would be enlightening to those who might consider it meaningless or reconsider actions like the ones described in the op as possibly being something that warrants further investigation.

<Snip>

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Have you been to the Gardai with the footage? Quiet frankly , asking a random bunch of anonymous people on keyboards isn't the way to be dealing with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Have you particularly nice windows, or is the front of your house impressive in any way, recently renovovated etc?

No, just a regular semi-d in quiet side street. The extra-ordinary thing however is that he turned up on the anniversary of the day my previous 'stalker' was caught. That particular caller had been dropping by over a number of years and eventually I had cameras and security system installed as he was clearly unstable individual and referred to murder every time he called. Once I had the doorbell camera I was able to communicate with him through it and get his details which were then passed on to the garda who were able to deal with it.

Likewise, I did pass this footage on to the same garda just in case it was related.

Quite frankly, I wasn't asking anyone's permission, I was contributing to a discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭Raichų

unfortunately OP the fact he was in a public place taking the photos is enough. It’s legally irrelevant he was taking photos of your house, whether or not you were in them and regardless of what you were doing. Maybe were you eating naked you could argue that it was inappropriate.

The other thing is he left peacefully when requested. You again might have a case were he to have refused but the fact is he didn’t trespass on your property to take any photos and when asked to leave you alone he complied.

I’m not being funny or smart but the only suggestion I can offer you is curtains or blinds. You can’t have people prosecuted for taking photos of your house from a public road especially if they comply with a request to stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They need the consent to publish it, but not to take it.

As long as they were in a public place, they can take a photograph. Distributing it is what brings in the privacy and GDPR issues.

Google's satellite can take the photograph of you sunbathing nude in your back garden, but they cannot share it without obscuring you.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,396 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

55 off topic, irrelevant, and personally abusive posts deleted. And warnings applied as appropriate.

@Babyreignbow do not post identifying videos of anybody accusing them of illegal activity. I have deleted your post and all posts that quote it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Consent is one of several potential valid legal basis for processing. It's not the only valid legal basis.

Advertisement