Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair newbie tips

• 20-04-2024 5:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

I have only started regularly using Ryanair for cheap flights but I'm looking for a few tips on the best way to get cheap flights. I'm looking to head to Brussels in August but is it better to wait until July when they will inevitably be throwing a sale on August flights? I feel if I book now I'll be paying more than if I hold off, also is it best to book return flights on the sale offers or two lots of one way flights?

I know people are experts on the absolute cheapest ways to get bargains off Ryanair. The only thing I don't want to compromise on is the picking your seats as I hate being crammed in the middle next to randomers when I could be enjoying the emergency exit. Ant tips? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Try airhint.com to predict best time to buy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

is it better to wait until July when they will inevitably be throwing a sale on August flights?

A sale in July for August flights is far from inevitable. That's one of the busiest months of the year, they don't need a sale!

It varies a lot by route and time of year but in general I find 3-5 months in advance is the cheapest time to book. Considering you are travelling in peak season I doubt prices will drop signifcantly from now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

ain’t as cheap as they used to be..

Heading to Glasgow July, Aer Lingus was €40 cheaper

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you’re happy with the price you see then book it is my moto. You might save a money booking later but can go other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Exactly this. Just jump on and book. The tenner/twenty you could potentially save will be offset against the time you spend worrying/checking the prices. Brilliant value all year round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

If you fly regularly never pay for a carry on bag. You'll get away with it often enough to justify the odd time they hit you at the gate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Ryanair are a point to point airline, they don't sell return flights, each flight is a standalone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭gipi

Some people who booked way in advance found that their flight times have been changed - by several hours in some cases. Seems to have been a bigger problem this summer.

If timing is important to you, don't book too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

All flights in the past year which I have taken on Ryanair have been return flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Pay for extra bags on a budget fare rather than getting a regular fare. Worked out slightly cheaper, well at least the last time I booked anyway.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭gossamerfabric

Not my experience recently. They are checking again after being lax for a while. If you must then hang back until nearly everyone has boarded as they want to close the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blackvalley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

You can make return bookings of course but the flights are ticketed as two one ways. The prices is the same whether you make a return booking or two one-way bookings (possible currency differences notwithstanding). With legacy airlines, one ways are normally priced separately to return bookings. It's not uncommon for a one-way to cost not much less than than return flights, or even more. You also cannot skip legs or the booking will be cancelled. This is not an issue on Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Mamasnpapas

I wouldn't be waiting until July to book an August flight. I've weekend flights to London booked for December and BA were cheapest. Currently trying to get a decent price for Alicante in August and prices are ridiculous. Gone up €600 for 4 of us since I first checked before Christmas. We weren't certain we could travel back then so I couldn't book and it's going to cost me a packet now unfortunately. Hope this thread keeps going I think it could be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

Dublin to Brussels looks like a competitive route with several flights a day. If you can be flexible with exactly when you fly, I'd hold off. There's usually a sweet spot around 3-8 weeks before the departure date.

Post edited by Rock Steady Edy on

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I stopped paying to bring a cabin bag on board. By cabin bag I mean the small wheeled case. I found I never used half the stuff I packed for a 3 or 4 day trip so now I'm more careful with my packing and just stick with the free bag allowance for the most part these days. I check in using random allocation for seats but if I don't get an aisle seat I go back and book an aisle seat so I don't have to deal with the mad rush to board. I just show up at the end and board as one of the last passengers. As the aisle seat is booked I don't have to ask people to move so I can take my seat. I also do not need overhead cabin space for my bag so I'm not roaming up and down the aisle looking for a space for it. It just goes under the seat in front of me. Anyway, avoid paying to bring a cabin bag on board if you can help it. Summer is peak travel time so I wouldn't wait until July to book the flights. When you see a good price just jump on it.

Advertisement