Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build terrace noise

Options
  • 21-04-2024 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi All,

We are first time buyers and have reserved a house in Cherrylane, Cherrywood. We have put a lot of though into it but one concern I still have is noise from nextdoor neighbours, it is a terraced house and I am a very light sleeper. Does anyone living there since phase 1 have any issues with noise, can you hear the neighbours through the walls? There seems to be a lot of variation with noise insulation between different new builds.

Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭KLF

Are they timber frame houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I dont think either seni D or terraced are ever noiseless. It just depends on your tolerance to sounds from next door, not even loud noises.

My gf is a light sleeper. I would sleep through a tornado hitting the house.

We rented a new build Semi D for a couple of years. Before that we lived in a 30 yer old semi D for a year months, and we have rented a couple of apartments over the years.

Strangely the noise carried more from the Semi Ds than any of the apartments. Maybe the apartments had thicker walls or something.

When we decided to buy a house, all attached properties were off the list. For her because she would be woken with every movement or shout or door banging, even door bells ringing or toilets flushing in the houses next door. For me because I like to sit during the day or evening in the house and not have to listen to the neighbors noises or have them listen to mine. Im fine when im asleep.

So our priorities were in this order of preference.

Detatched

Semi D

Apartment - ground floor

Apartment - top floor

Terraced house - Never

• Registered Users Posts: 21 mr_ak

There's a Facebook group for Cherrylane residents, you could try asking the residents directly in that group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 duffer77

Thanks everyone, trying to get clarification about the timber it actually wasn't in the specifications they sent us.

We have gotten talking to some people living there currently so hopefully they can shed some light on it and add us to the online group.

Unfortunately so little coming on the market at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Not all terraced houses are the same. I live in an end of terraced house with only 2 rooms attached to the house next door and I've never been woken up by them. It's block built and has very good insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 roybig

I’d echo Dearg81, it can vary so much from house to house. I’ve lived in houses and apartments of various ages and had no sound issues. I currently live in a terrace (South Dub) and I can hear everything on both sides. The house is only a few years old. If it’s something that might bother you, probably best to avoid.

Post edited by roybig on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭SharkMX

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭REFLINE1

construction type a massive factor. Having lived in both , the block built houses have far superior acoustic performance compared to timber frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jmsjms

Hi @duffer77, did you manage to get into the group chat for Cherrylane? We just got called to do our first snagging - would be great to hear who others have used and types of issues that came up!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 duffer77

Yes we walked around and spoke to people living there who kindly added my partner to the prospective buyer WhatsApp. From talking to others when we walked around the neighbourhood it seems the snagging process has been generally ok, not sure about specifics though. Everyone is very friendly and helpful if you can get up there some evening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭corks finest

Maybe even the noisy ones 😂

Advertisement