Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offline Resources?

Options
  • 21-04-2024 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

So I have been using all the online tools for the last year but believe I have done as much as I can there. Are there any offline resources available to the public that are worth investigating?

Particularly interested in Roscommon & Meath?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It depends on time period and whether people are urban/rural and what the goal is.

The Valuation Office records will track plots of land forward from Griffith's Valuation to 1977. I use them a lot.

Records of a big house/estate can be great to find rent rolls that push people back earlier than the digitised land records.

Would suggest you start with the county archive for each location and examine relevant resources. Often they have poor online presences.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭cobham

I have used street directories and even phone books with good results for Dublin research. Would County libraries hold these?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭ath262

The National Library has a very good collection of Dublin directories, I think the library on Pearse street has also. I'm not sure about libraries outside Dublin, probably best to check the libraries close to where you are..

There are directories for other areas, mostly larger towns and cities

FindMyPast has some some of these online that are searchable - e.g. for Dublin Thom's, Pettegrew & Olton and Treble almanac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Every county archive should have at least some trade directories. Seeing them in person gives much greater context than looking up a name in isolation on the various sites though. They're like the internet in a book.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Pearse Library was my 'go to' place for research pre covid. You could browse a wall of reference books on open access incl Thom's. Now the hours are limited and you have to arrange an appointment to visit and specify in advance what material you wish to see. It is the same in the National Library as well tho the opening hours are better. Oh and the decent cafe's in both places are gone.😪

Just checked and I see Pearse has three days of 'appointments'.

The Archive Reading Room is open by appointment only on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 10am to 4:30pm, including through lunchtime. 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

The Genealogical Society of Ireland has old telephone directories but as it's run by volunteers their hours are limited. Check them out here https://familyhistory.ie/newtheme/

Also, I have had very successful visits to Tallaght Library for their Thoms. I dropped in there recently but left quickly as it was Saturday and the place was full of poor old students studying hard. Lots of kiddies events there too so be aware there may be a lot of jolly noise!

Thks Jelly, I had forgotten about the Genealogical Society. They might have Thoms as well? I never visited them in their 'new' location… a bit far out. I might have volunteered but for the musty atmosphere of the old premises… not good for asthma. Dun Laoire's new library has a study /research room on the top floor with the books on display but locked wire fronts. We were spoilt in the old set up in Pearse. It suited me on a Saturday as could park near enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

The GSoI might have Thoms but I'm really not sure. Try emailing them.

Yes am being lazy… I should pay them a visit… used to be a member and attend the lectures but not since covid. Talks appear on Youtube also.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Fraoch333

I've only just seen that Dublin City Council databases were taken off line, and for the moment can only be accessed in the DCLA Reading Room in Pearse Street.

That's very disappointing, especially with the limited access there. There's no indication of when the databases will be back online. https://www.dublincity.ie/residential/libraries/heritage-and-history/dublin-city-council-databases

• Advertisement
Advertisement