Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Iran/Israel thread.

Options
  • 21-04-2024 11:25am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I posted something about the thread being a farce and how it has descended into either people calling everything antisemitic and the some actual antisemitic nonsense.

The same handful of poster are allowed drag this and other threads to that. They don't want a discussion about what's happening in gaza, nor much about Iran Israel, they want it to be about sides, and they keep going back to cliched, tired blanket accusations of antisemitism.

The closing of the Israel exceptionialism thread because there's already one on gaza and keeping this one open is complete and utter nonsense given that it's just allowing all the people banned from one to post the same shite in the other.

Posters such as potatoeman are routinely posting openly racist stuff and get the odd warning, but mostly it's deleted and swept away.

Some of the worst of it was handwaved away too but the admin which is frankly not good enough

Either be consistent with the modding or don't bother at all

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,316 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

And I am aware there is some crackpot a antisemitism in there too. I said as much in the post

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,242 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Moved to the proper forum.

More on potatoeman, because it comes back to the worfil inconsistencies here.

Made a post with his typical racist overtones thrown in at the end (plus was off topic) Was reported. Was deleted and I think given a warning. Who knows, seems to be able to post all sorts of bike with no warnings.

Reposted the same post verbatim in another thread. It's still off topic. It's still xenophobic/racist rambling.

Admin nul point and a deletion is the height of it.

So ignoring mods, posting off topic and being a bigot are okay when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,782 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Anti semitism has been having a field day in the Oct 7th thread, the Iran thread and calling it out can get one thread banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Apologies for this, haven’t been in any of these thread, but isn’t calling someone anti-semitic, on a thread, in breach of “the rules”?

It’s long been a “quirk” of the site that you can’t call some who’s saying racist things “a racist”, homophobic things “a homophobe”, misogynistic things “a misogynist”, and so on and so forth.

I guess, technically, it’s backseat moderation so the mods can act on the poster “calling out” for that, instead of the racist, homophobe, misogynist etc.

Mods usually advise users to avail of the “report button” for things like that. It’s up to them to decide if they agree with you, or not.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You made no attempt to discuss the actual threadban via PM, and what assurances we may need to consider lifting it.

You have made it clear that you do not think this thread is appropriate, and therefore I'm not sure what you seek to gain by regaining posting privileges.

You were threadbanned for essentially sticking two fingers up at our moderation. Moderation in the most difficult forum on the site, and currently the most difficult thread in that forum.

At this stage I am seeing no reason for lifting the ban

So is islamophobia. Basically bigots are taking over. The antisemitiic ones of the last few days are proper conspiracy crackpots though.

I get they are dealing with a shite tone of reports, but there is no consistency being applied in either what can be discussed in a thread ie Israel exceptionialism closed because there's a gaza thread which is still titled to frame it as all thinga october 7 and now an Iran thread, which danzy above has created (threadbanned from the Gaza one too)

Basically it's become a thread to deflect from what's going on in Gaza and loads of people threadbanned in one have piled into the other.

Some people making the same overtly racist remarks over and over and being allowed to keep posting.

You call it out and your banned from posting. It

You never replied to the pm. You previously warned me for someone else saying something I didn't say.

The report of my post was acted on very quickly while others go ignored.

The whole point of the post was to show how absolutely inconsistent the decision to leave that open, close the exceptionalism one and let all the same people post the same shite over and over. Some of whom got themselves threadbanned again.

I because of the sites flaws can peer behind the curtain. Maybe I'm not supposed to, but I absolutely know the moderation is not equitable

Also, all of those rambling off topic posts to which I referred to in my post that got me banned are still there.

Another poster has basically said what I said since. Still on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29,356 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Israel exceptionalism thread, only got to two pages before it was completely taken over by Gaza stuff.

The Israel - Iran thread is at 42 pages, the majority of the content relating to Iran angle - albeit with some later mod intervention to keep Gaza stuff off it, and recent anti-semitic \ Jewish global influence posts. That seems to suggest it warrants its own thread, at least for a time.

If there was only one thread, then surely the Iran content flooding it would be more a situation of "it's become a thread to deflect from what's going on in Gaza." The Gaza situation can be discussed on the Gaza thread, so how can it be a deflection. Doesn't make sense.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Most of the Iran - Israel stuff is roundabout anyway and going on about Iran's proxy war , IE funding Hamas. Lately there's loads of stuff about Russia.

Most of it is the same ground that was in the other thread rehashed and regurgitated. There's a handful of pages in that 42 that are remotely about the Iran Israel side show

And it has done exactly what it has intended to do, by those who could only answer criticism of Israels current issues in Gaza with whataboutery and antisemitism accusations.

And it's not just antisemitism there. It's going both ways. And it's being allowed.

The thread is serving as a massive deflection as posters get to say look over there, while grinning that noone is engaged in discussion about the ongoing slow death of 2 million people anymore. They want antipathy and they're getting it.

That's what it boils down to. It's green lighting the ultimate whataboutery.

• Advertisement

The Iran page was one of the fastest moving threads on boards during the night of the attacks, and aftermath. That content is directly related to Israel - Iran. There was then discussion of the Israeli response.

To suggest that "There's a handful of pages in that 42 that are remotely about the Iran Israel side show" is your claim, and it is totally contradicted by the actual content of the thread.

I don't see how it is a deflection, when the discussion is happening on a separate thread. It would be even more of a distraction on one single thread unless you're going to ban discussion of Iran - Israel conflict in the thread?

Nor do I recognise these remarks as accurately describing the content of the thread: a massive deflection as posters get to say look over there, while grinning that noone is engaged in discussion about the ongoing slow death of 2 million people anymore.

Unless those posts were deleted, this seems to be your interpretation, I don't recall many (any?) posts in the thread 'grinning' when comparing how busy each thread was. And the statement would be contradicted by the actual post count in both threads.

There are plenty, pages and pages of posts in there that have nothing to do with the Iran Israel aspect of it all.

And it's all an extension of the Gaza conflict, to pretend it isnt and that this happening in some sort of a vacuum is just burying head in the sand.

For reasons I won't get into anyway odyssey, I take your opinions on this with a hefty dose of salt

You've gone from

"There's a handful of pages in that 42 that are remotely about the Iran Israel side show."

to

"There are plenty, pages and pages of posts in there that have nothing to do with the Iran Israel aspect of it all."

So there is a significant amount of content in there specific to Iran & Israel.

If you think the thread's existence is a 'deflection' from Gaza, it would surely be a greater deflection if that significant amount of content and discussion was instead happening on the main Israel-Hamas thread.

It is a difficult call for mods to make in CA about whether a separate thread is warranted, considering whether there is enough content or if discussion should take place on a single mega thread. So it is not necessarily 'inconsistent' to allow an Iran-Israel thread but not an Israel exceptionalism thread, considering the amount of content as a criteria.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Weepsie, are you disputing your threadban or complaining about the thread itself?

I think you have a comprehension problem. Both of those quotes of mean the same thing ie there's only a portion of the thread about the Iran Israel issue. This is the second time you've done that with my posts too.

Well it's a bit of both, in the I don't see the consistency of closing one, allowing another that are all broadly cover in one thread but could of course be each their own isolated threads. I'd understand if one was closed, then the other would be too because it's an extension of the same conflict. The speed at which one is shut down without considering that on its own it might actually have merits rankles.

I know there's an issue modding me as I'm a mod myself, I can accept warnings etc or anything via pm. Ask me and I'll take it on board. I can't accept that there are posters with multiple posts that are just thinly veiled at best , racism. Or off topic rants. Or the same accusations of antisemitism and they are left keep coming back.

The permitting of this thread imo just allowed all the people who were posting their conspiracy shite, islamophobic shite, antisemitic shite, endless whataboutery to get another crack at it. I think there's a double standard. Either merge them all or close the 2 that are extensions of the original.

Some of them have got themselves banned all over again. Some of them, one named above has made far too many comments that are clearly and outwardly racist and still allowed a post.

You warned and deleted a post. They posted it verbatim again. Deleted and a 0 point warning this time. They should have so many points/infractions against them at this stage that they'd be nowhere near the site.

It's not good enough to simply remove /clean up those posts if the same people are constantly coming back and doing it again and again.

It's a flaw of the site, I can see behind the curtain I guess for some things that would be better I didn't., but I can, and I get notifications because of it too.

Also, this is not a thread for other posters to be posting in. This is a dispute about some specific moderation.

Why on earth are they. Another flaw of boards on vanilla platform?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,411 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Anybody can post in a help desk thread. it is only threads in Dispute Resolution that other users are not allowed to post in.

ANd I posted this in dispute resolution. Why it was moved, I don't know

• Advertisement

Anyway, stilleff all done about it and the woefully uneven moderation still not explained remotely well enough. Not ten of swords. The admins.

Their response to some of the reports posts too is indefensible too. Waving away clear examples of racism and general hate and applying double standards to various posts when it suits

I presume this is just being wished away at this stage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

@Weepsie this is not a hybrid thread to both dispute your threadban and complain about the moderation of the Hamas/Israel thread. Pick one, and do the other in a new thread please.

Have you engaged with the mod who threadbanned you or asked them to lift the threadban?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭DialecticAspirations

From the OP :

"They don't want a discussion"
    "they want it to be about sides"

Firstly - are you not making a large assumption about both the purpose of threads/forums and the intent/motivation of posters?
    Sadly, wanting a (collaborative / dialectic / interesting) discussion just isn't part of what many (most?) posters really want, whatever is stated on forum charters etc.

They just to want to feel good, for a moment.

So they like a thread where there are "sides" : they identify the side that is regarded as the "good guys" and they express their support for them.
    As a bonus, they also get to express their hate & anger towards the "bad guys", and have a lower than usual chance of getting banned.
    I would guess that often this anger actually originates from issues they have in their real lives, and expressing it for a moment on boards helps them face the rest of their working day.

Secondly - aren't these issues seen elsewhere?
    I would be interested if you thought they are also a problem in the Russian thread?

In that thread we see a kind of compelled speech mandate, enforced by a large group of posters : thou shalt state that Putin is a bad man / thou shalt state that Ukraine will win the war / thou shalt not say anything negative above NATO or US, etc.
    If you don't follow these commandments immediately in your first post, then you are labelled a Russian shill/troll/robot/whatever.
    Apparently, even asking questions and opinions is out of line....

I've read Russian soldiers (many of which are conscripts) referred to as "meatcubes", and seen references to Russian citizens as low-IQ. Not good.

Advertisement