Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Side wall

Options
  • 21-04-2024 11:52am

heya,

Wanna build a wall here using cavity blocks? It’s just a partition wall in a relatively unexposed place, would it be strong enough?

• should I fill the cavity’s with mortar, or is it necessary?
    • Gonna use 1 part cement 2 parts mortar sand? Is that a good mix?
    • About 110cm high?
    • Would it be strong enough to hold a side gate?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

1 cement and 3 sand would be the norm. But you might want some form of wall connector https://www.bpcfixings.com/wall-ties/v63-universal-stainless-steel-wall-starter-system/ thats a fancy one there are plenty of others. No need to fill the blocks but maybe do that where you are attaching a gate.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I agree with @The Continental Op - the added weight of a gate would require that it's tied into the existing wall well. You could use a starter kit or otherwise go for SS screws inserted into the solid wall at the mortar joints, and then match the joints on the new wall. Starter kit might be easier though - have a ponder.

You will need to form a better foundation there, I'd dig out and expose the founds for that existing wall and match that. It should be around 10 to 15cm deep, but again with a gate I'd go slightly deeper.

Mortar mix strength is important here - any weakness will be exposed by broken joints after the wind catches that gate a few times. Go for a Class II mortar with plasticiser.

https://www.pavingexpert.com/mortars

If you want to add some strength then add a single capping stone, well cemented into place. It will protect the wall from frost too.

And no I would not fill the cavities, it's not going to add strength unless done in a very specific way with steel - that is unless you intend on hinging a heavy gate off it… up to you.

• thanks a lot lads for the advice.

Noted about mortar mix thanks :)

The actual depth I have gone to is the depth of the foundations of the wall.. gets shallower as you go out as the ground ain’t flat!

Am goi g to cap it with some sort of brick or paving stones etc.. have to any way or cavities would fill with water..

Haven’t picked gate yet, might be going for this, supposed to be only 20kg approx!

https://www.vidaxl.ie/e/vidaxl-garden-gate-85x175-cm-corten-steel/8720287217855.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Only reason I'd fill the cavity where the gate will be hung is so you have something to put a decent sized raw plug into.

Not sure I'd choose that gate? No mention of the thickness or weights of the materials used and given the supplier I wouldn't expect a quality item.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• it’s says 3cm thick, I asked about weight and they said 18kg!

I never heard of them before, their no good then?

Just picked that one as no maintenance.. had wooden post where I building wall now and post didn’t last, and door needs replacing.. wood dont last in this country!

• Advertisement

• thanks re filling cavity.. wasn’t sure if I shud fill em all, if it would add strength..

Good idea on the end of hanging door, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Samson1

Not sure how long this wall is going to be, but it is recommended to build pillars every 8 or 12 feet for strength. I have seen walls with no pillars blow down. It may make sense to build a pillar where the gate is going to hang.

For expansion, there is also a set distance where you must allow a break in the wall - of say 10mm or so.

• thanks , but it’s only abt 2.5 blocks long- approx 100cm, and abt 110cm bigh

Advertisement