Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible encroachment from neighbouring property on a house that I'm looking to buy.

Options
  • 21-04-2024 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I went to view a house recently, 99% happy with the house, there's just one potential issue with it.

The neighbour has built a plastic roof between their house and the boundary fence, with a small part of it extending into the property that I am looking at. I'd be planning to build an extension if I bought the house and the neighbours structure would have to come down to accommodate this. I'm planning to contact the estate agent tomorrow about it to see what they say.

Is this something that I should just walk away from? Is it something that can be resolved before a sale?

I really don't want to buy a house and then have a boundary dispute straight away.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

If you intend to buy a property with potential to extend, the risk is always there for conflict with your neighbours. But starting off by pointing out to the neighbour that they have encroached on a property you don’t yet own, well the law of unintended consequences may apply. You could look at it from another perspective, maybe say you are happy enough for his structure to stay there and you will connect to it, or go ahead and tell him you want it taken down, then wait for the blow back.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Ted222

I’d have it sorted as a condition of purchase. You have to be prepared for conflict either way. If you’re not up for that, walk away and look elsewhere.

Advertisement