Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Euryops - how to salvage?

Options
  • 21-04-2024 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

I have a Euryops in a pot. It looked well and flowered OK last summer after I inherited it. It stopped flowering in August (too early apparently), but weirdly produced a few flowers in late December. Since then it turned into a withered mess.

I had a good look at it today to see if it is actually dead, but it has a few buds but very little foliage excepts at the tips of the woody stems. It had a lot of crunchy brown leaves that just crumbled in my hands. Incredibly it seems completely dried out despite the wet weather of late. I was told it needed little water and hadn't considered it might need water in recent months. It has been sitting near the front door (south facing).

Any advice on how to save it welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's getting a bit late but cut back dead stems as far as possible. Mulch the base, water, and new growth should appear. Cut back in late summer after flowering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

It was cut back in September.

The problem is that there are buds with yellow flowers about to open at the end of all those sorry looking stems. It's weird because they do look dead all the way to the tips, then there's a bit of foliage and a bud.

So should I sacrifice the existing buds and just cut it back completely now?

Advertisement