Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** things about the 70s,80s,90s...that don't happen now!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

or the Lyon’s tea labels to enter a draw for a car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Statoil Premium Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭I.am.Putins.raging.bile.duct

The bags of Nenagh milk tokens we'd save all year to get something nice from the catalogue

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭yagan

Green shield saving stamps.

Rented tv and couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

Drinks promos in pubs, where you could win free pints or merchandise, sadly killed off by the PC brigade.

Anyone remember the 1p pints of Guinness they had on some anniversary of the brewery?

Edit, you got a scratch card and paid whatever the cost of the pint was in the year you revealed.

• Advertisement

Rice Krispie Buns!

These were a major feature of all of my childhood parties, school events, any event at all really just get a big bar of cooking chocolate, melt it and mix in the Rice Krispies …

That and over diluted orange squash.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Female Gardaí officially referred to as "Bán Garda" or WPC if they were serving in the North or Britain. Edit: corporal punishment handed out by clergy with celibacy frustration, hospitals staffed by nuns and monks who had taken a vow of poverty and probably saved the government health coffers millions but didn’t do much in way of actually caring.

Post edited by flazio on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Capital punishment handed out by clergy with celibacy frustration

Even back then, the Church didn't have the power to carry out capital punishment. I think you meant corporal punishment.😉

I think it was more a business than charity when you consider their baby export model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,090 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Bedsits. And for those of us that were particularly skint - sharing a bedsit designed for 1 person with 2 or 3 others.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedsit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Gone are the days of going to the pub or club and coming back absolutely drenched in the stank of other peoples 2nd hand smoke, thanks be to Jaysus.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When the only choice for food in a pub was a bag of crisps, peanuts or bacon fries. If you were really lucky they'd do a ham sandwich, a cheese sandwich or a ham & cheese sandwich 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭black & white

The Crossroads Bar in Shannon, Co Clare in the early '80's. One non regular asked for a bag of peanuts and was told, What the f*ck do you think this is, a restaurant ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭standardg60

That's another one, pub crisps, literally said pub crisps on the bag. Always thought they had extra flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

Extended family or friends just arriving at the door and you'd be expected to entertain them..no notice or nothing.

If you were lucky that you did have a phone... neighbours would call round looking to use it and run up your bill!

Soda streams...overrated novelty muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I have soda stream! Handy for making sparkling water, don't bother with the syrups and flavours. I always wanted one as a kid, the idea of being able to make my own coke was intriguing even though I'm sure it tasted like crap. childhood dream realised 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭blade1

80s as well.

The guy that lived next door drank loads of Guinness.

Me and a few friends used to take his empties and bring them to the local pub and exchange them for 20 fags.

We were in primary school at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭ruth...less

I didn't know you could make sparkling water from them but I don't like it. All I remember is my friends mam giving it to me and thinking it was horrible.

Post edited by ruth...less on

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

2 bar electric heaters or later the gas heater in the bathroom for the Saturday eve shower before central heating.

Actual penny sweets.

Fear of priests and Church authority

Fear of the rule of law (with some exceptions – see below) and Gardai authority

10 kids packed into the van to go somewhere for sports event with no seatbelts

Cineclub on RTE 2 on Tues eve's where you might see some “exotic” films with bare flesh if you were lucky!

Fri night blagging your way into over 15 or Over 18 films as a 13 year old for the same reason!

Getting scratches on your new 45 single or 33 album that deemed it practically useless

Recording off the radio and making compilation casettes (and forgetting to knock out the tabs)

Alternatively taping over a Pink Floyd casette tab so I could use it to record off the radio!

Pirate radio being daring and exotic! (When in reality some of them were actually run by perverted paedos!)

Being temporarily famous in school after having a request played on Radio Luxembourg

Public service safety announcements about water safety, farm safety, TB, Hoose and Winter scours, railway level crossings (With Michael O Hehir) and fire safety (flammible night dresses and putting the cat out)

Girls not having a clue how to apply make up and the occasional lad that was excellent at it!

Cars with no seat belts and tractors with no roll bars / safety cabs

Burning rubbish and throwing tin cans under the hedge

Toasted ham and cheese sandwiches (and soup if you were lucky) being the main “pub grub”

Neighbours without a phone calling to use yours

The local traveller lady who lived in camp by the railway track (and who we were terrified of) coming to my mother for her to read her letters from her sister in UK and getting her to write a reply back.

House swaps with the cousins constituting a summer holiday and being jealous of friends who owned a caravan and really jealous of anyone who actually went abroad for a holiday.

Thumbing and wearing armbands on dark roads while you stood for ages hoping for a lift out of the pi$$ing rain!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Ted222

Yeah it was 10.00 closing on Sundays. We’d sometimes go to a nightclub (okay, disco) and sit around the tables waiting for the bar to open again at midnight.

You could use the cloakroom ticket you got on the way in to have a dodgy chicken curry while you were waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Buying new bell-bottom trousers and a pair of wet look zip-up boots and feeling so cool.

Clearing out the mother in laws house recently and we found the little coin box for when nieghbours needed to use her phone, and also a roll of fly tape with "made in West Germany".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

One I used to see regularly to the early 00’s in Dublin but no more. On a sunny day bringing the couch out onto the front lawn to get a bit of sun with your mates.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭PP Lee

Hitch hikers on country roads, I haven’t seen one since the late 90’s.

RTE ending transmission at around 11.30pm, closing out with the national anthem.

Brown clothing everywhere and people in their 30’s looking and dressing like how a 50+ year old would look now.

Penneys Y fronts being the underwear of choice for most men

The last bus out of town being at 5.50pm

Fruit and Vegetables being sold around the neighbourhood from the back of a van. The van would open up and an army of snot noses little gurriers would jump out and go door to door knocking and asking people did they want to buy anything.

The saddest thing I can remember however was pulling up a sackful of puppy bones out of the local stream

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Not been able to prerecord shows unless your VCR had the ability to input the code in the tv guide which often would not work correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 14,378 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

driving out to get a flight to work in London at 4am and seeing guys staggering home from the night club.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

During the 90's I remember at primary school everyone having to hand in the receipts from some supermarket, think it may have been Quinnsworth's, in the hope we would have enough for a computer. It seemed to go on for months, and the teachers used to quiz kids on why they didn't have receipts and would be very disapproving if it was because parents chose to shop elsewhere. I don't know I imagined this part but in my memory they needed 10,000 pounds worth of receipts to get a computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Those "Black & White Minstrel" tokens probably wouldn't fly today. Of course, I've always drunk Barry's because I'm not a godless savage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Lyon’s was all I knew growing up I’m afraid - I’ve since been educated 😀

Advertisement